Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Bottom set..... comments please....

Party 400. 6handed. Suits irrelevant.

Hero is SB with 77 and has CO+1 (560) and button (416) covered.

1 fold, CO+1 makes it 16, CO calls, button calls, hero calls, BB folds.

4 to the flop (68).

Flop 79J.
Hero leads for 30, preflop raiser calls, a fold and then the button makes it 100.
Hero..........???????????

Both button and PFR are standard players, nothing special. Not overly aggressive nor tight.

Comments appreciated.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Bottom set..... comments please....

pushes?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:38 PM

I think u push here even though it clearly defines your hand...Too many cards on the turn will kill the action...You might be up against a bigger set here, but 8/10 for the str8 is unlikely.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:45 PM

Hero shoves all-in without blinking.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:12 PM

Is there a flush draw on the flop?I dont think its an 'easy push', you are drawing almost dead against a set that makes it a difficult decision
Old 08-02-2005, 07:56 AM

The results don't really matter in this situation because what I'm asking here is for help with the thought process when faced with the raise. (Comment on the flop lead/bet size would also be good).

It was a solid-ish table. No-one had really been getting out of line and I felt that there were probably at least two people drawing to a set. At this level, pocket pairs tend to just call and look for the sanctuary of the set before committing.

THE QUESTION I'M ASKING HERE IS... if I feel there's a decent possibility that I'm behind here, can I just lay this down and move to the next hand or is this giving too much away (against the whole range of possible hands) with what is essentially a strong holding. OK, this isn't deep stack stuff, but so far I've invested only 16+30 and I'm going to have to play around another 380 to find out if my suspicions are true. Is this just too weak?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:09 AM

On the flop I think your bet is good. IMO you WANT to get raised here so that size of a bet is good to induce that.

Once you get raised I almost always re-raise in your spot. If there was no raise preflop maybe I'd play it more cautiously, but with a raise before the flop I feel you have to jam it in when you flop a set. Why even second guess yourself if it's not a tournament?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Thanks for your comments.

[ QUOTE ]
Why even second guess yourself if it's not a tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I flip this in a tournament I'm playing the hand unless we are seriously deep stacked. It's a big hand, if I'm beat I'm beat.

Here, I was pretty sure the raiser had a strong hand. Against a lunatic I'll take my chances and not second guess myself but he was fairly solid.

I ended up losing to 999. I decided to post the hand to guage opinion on how sure you have to be that you are badly behind before folding the lower set. I want to play by trusting my instincts but is it going to cost me in the long run if I start passing up possible opportunities (like here) to stack people?

I think next time I'll just fold the hand and move on. And this isn't a bad reaction to losing my stack in a tough situation. If I find it makes me weak, I'll re-adjust. It might make me tough.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think next time I'll just fold the hand and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't advise doing this.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:17 PM

I would love getting my money in on this hand unless I have a read that button only raises a bet when he has a set or the nuts.