Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 11:28 PM

Default Comments/help on these Aces

2/5 NL at The Palms, I'm($380) in the SB with a $10 straddle and 2 limpers. I raise to $30 and limpers call.

flop($105) 67T w/ 2 clubs. I bet $150, fold, call (by someone who seems pretty solid)

Turn 2c($405): I go all-in($200), he calls

River: A

in white:
<font color="white"> villian shows A high club flush. A4 I think, I was still recovering.</font>

all thoughts are welcome.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Comments/help on these Aces

By only raising to $30 you are asking for these aces to be cracked. Straddle and two limpers means that there was $37 in the pot, you have to make it at least $50 to go. If they want to call $40 more with ace-small then fine.

So you are in the worst position and then under-raise. Then when solid guy calls large flop bet, you still bet into him when worst card in the deck comes. What do you think hell call with that you can beat? Anyway, doesn't matter about the rest of the hand, because you put yourself in such a bad spot preflop.

Tuco.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By only raising to $30 you are asking for these aces to be cracked. Straddle and two limpers means that there was $37 in the pot, you have to make it at least $50 to go. If they want to call $40 more with ace-small then fine.

So you are in the worst position and then under-raise. Then when solid guy calls large flop bet, you still bet into him when worst card in the deck comes. What do you think hell call with that you can beat? Anyway, doesn't matter about the rest of the hand, because you put yourself in such a bad spot preflop.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the guy is a solid player, I think it makes it much less likely that he has a flush. I don't know what he was doing calling a pot overbet with a flush draw. He didn't have implied odds for that even if he gets all his money when he hits.

Anyways, flop I agree should be raised more. After that I think it looks fine.

Justin A
Old 09-01-2004, 03:08 AM

When he flat calls your $150 on the flop you have to put him on a hand - he either has a set - 98 for the nuts - or a club draw. So once the club comes on the turn, you are losing the hand. All-in at this point is just silly. Instead you should be check/folding or at least not putting much more in the pot.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:09 AM

I agree that you definately have to raise much more than 30$ preflop, probably from 50-60 in this situation. Postflop when he calls ur 150 cold it is clear that he has 1 of the 3 hands mentioned above and after the turn brings a 3rd club you beat none of those 3 hands [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 AM

someone willing to call 150$ in a 100$ pot with the bare nut flushdraw would probably make the same call with KK, QQ or perhaps JJ. so i dont fully agree with previos poster, still check/folding is probably the better play. or check/ calling any small bet.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the comments. After thinking about it some more, it's obvious $30 wasn't enough pre-flop. I think that maybe $150 wasn't enough on the flop, it put's too much pressure on me to bet the turn again, so he has no implied odds for the clubs draw accross two streets. It was probably reasonable for him to believe that the call could get him two cards, and if he put me on KK or QQ then his also represented outs. And, finally, the turn bet was incredibly bad as there are virtually no hands I could beat at that point.

live and learn.

-John
Old 09-01-2004, 10:45 PM

Yeah, that's part of the reason I made the bet at the time. But even then, I was concerned that he thought his call could get him two cards because it was a rather strange call for him.

-John
Old 09-01-2004, 10:53 PM

Yes, this is entirely correct. If you put club draws in as his range of hands, you cannot rule out one pair hands. If he's a solid player, the flush draw would be the last thing I'd put him on. Turns out he wasn't a solid player.

Justin A
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 PM

$150 was plenty on the flop. Even a bet closer to the pot size would be enough. On the turn the bet is fine, because with the pot that big you're not folding anyway. You got drawn out on when the guy did not have correct odds to call. Move on and get your money back from him later.

Justin A