Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Play these 9\'s any different?

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

No read on villian who recently came to the table. He didn't play until the BB came to him so he doesn't seem loose as fish usually post in any spot they are at. They can't wait to drop loot at the table.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB checks.

I usually raise but this table was kind of loose and my raise probably won't limit the field. Im wondering if I should have raised with the probable best hand. Too hard to say UTG.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, BB calls.

Pot is small and lots of overcards can hurt me. I think I had to raise to increase my chances of taking this one down.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Not a good card. I bet it and planned on checking showdown if given the chance.

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
Old 11-20-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Play these 9\'s any different?

Raise preflop.

I like the flop play.

I like the turn play.

Value bet the turn.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:23 PM

Is today "Limp With Pocket Nines Day" or something?

Raise preflop. The way you played it I would bet the river too. BB is going to have a 7 way more often than he has a K or T.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:28 PM

Raise preflop. You're not trying to limit the field with 99, you're raising for value. Then keep betting until somebody plays back at you (possibly checking the river behind, but not likely against an unknown).

[ QUOTE ]
They can't wait to drop loot at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just have to say, for the umpteenth time, this is the Best Attitude Ever! Go to the table thinking that everybody else is trying to give you their money...THAT'S the way to PLAY THE GAME, people!

(I hope I didn't overload anybodys SD.)
Old 11-20-2005, 12:53 PM

Limping 99 UTG is fine, geez. I raise it from UTG+2 and later.
Postflop is fine - though I'd imagine the river is probably a value bet at a typical .10/.20 table.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot is small and lots of overcards can hurt me. I think I had to raise to increase my chances of taking this one down.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Not a good card.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise 99 preflop the K will be much less of a scare card. In my experience loose players will call your preflop raise with QJ,QT,JT,T9 before they call with KJ,KT,K9,K8. If you allow them to limp then all bets are off.

If the table is more aggro the preflop limp is worse because you may get raised from late position and not know where you stand/lose control of the hand.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:13 PM

I'd probably limp the nines UTG. I don't see why you think the K is a bad card for you when the BB bet out the flop. I bet he has an OESD or something, or perhaps a 7. I think the turn bet is for value, and I would just hope the 10 doesn't change anything. I bet every street.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:50 PM

(Newbie grunching) Let me guess: you posted this hand because villain had a small PP and flopped a set. He then saw your flop raise and decided he could maximize his winnings by letting you do the betting.

I don't care. There's no obvious reason to think you're behind. Against an unknown penny player, I bet the river. I make the crying call even if checkraised on the river, say nh and move on.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Newbie grunching) Let me guess: you posted this hand because villain had a small PP and flopped a set. He then saw your flop raise and decided he could maximize his winnings by letting you do the betting.

I don't care. There's no obvious reason to think you're behind. Against an unknown penny player, I bet the river. I make the crying call even if checkraised on the river, say nh and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't call a river C/R and nobody has a set - he would've C/R'd the turn.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Against an unknown penny player, I bet the river. I make the crying call even if checkraised on the river, say nh and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't call a river C/R and nobody has a set - he would've C/R'd the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

First point taken. Error in my ways.

Second point not clear. This is a penny table, and passive works both ways. Lots of the same players who call way too much are also oblivious to concepts like checkraising and building the pot. You see it all the time at this level.