Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Isolation

Yeah definately loosen up yr raising requirements. Don't go crazy. The QTo talk in this thread does not have enough context. If villian is utg then it's a muck. If he open limps in mp1 then it depends on the guys who act after you -- yeah reads on the guys to yr left matter here. If they are way loose then isolation plays won't work -- raise hands you don't mind being cold called as much. You can still raise lighter than usual (eg ATo), if eg they would cold call suited trash or any ace, but QTo is pushing it. If they fold to preflop raises more than they should then raise it up. If villian open limps in LP then mos def raise QTo.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:59 AM

It's pretty simple. If the following 2 conditions are present at my game, I would gladly isolate with hands such as 66, A4s, and QJ.

1. The loose limper is on my right and is playing over 50% of his hands.
2. A raise is relatively likely to buy me the button.

Who cares if the big blind comes along? The big blind is a random hand, and you have position. You're going to be going up against a random hand (from the BB), and for a loose enough limper, what is almost a random hand. As long as your hand is not worse than theirs, you will profit because you play better postflop.

Not adjusting to a very loose limper on your right is passing up on a huge edge that you are being offered, as long as you are skilled enough to play correctly postflop.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:02 AM

Firstly, anyone who thinks that certain advice isn't pertinent because "It doesn't come up" doens't play enough for one thing. As for you only playing in "choice games", it's still good to look into. If I lived in a city without traffic lights it would probably still be correct to know that Green means go, Red means Stop, and Yellow means...Here comes Red. It's good to know in case I ever get into the situation of heing at a traffic light, and the information is there in case I ever move to a place where it is needed.

In a roundabout way I see your reasoning for for not isolating a loose limper or even raiser because you will get "cold callers anyway."

This all leads back to the advice that you should be aware of the tendencies of the people behind you. But more than that you can't know what they are holding all the time or their liklihood to call a raise at any given time. Plus it causes mistakes anyway. Think about all the hands you can correctly cold call a raise with. A lot of the times if your opponents calling your raises don't have those hands, they should be raising you or folding. When they fail to you someone makes money, usually you.

But wait, how can we make money by not winning the hand? Well, that's another concept you will have to grasp.

BTW great advice Miles and its good to see you back.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. A raise is relatively likely to buy me the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of us who play primarily 6max know how important this concept is, sometimes its the most important.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't you think they'd say ATo is offsuit trash and should be folded if it's raised ahead of them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I DON'T think they'd say that in a typical party poker micro limit game.

*EDIT*

AND, if most of my table DOES think that way, I stand up and find a new table, because they are too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree, I think a lot of people would throw ATo away after a raise.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Don't you think they'd say ATo is offsuit trash and should be folded if it's raised ahead of them?

No, I DON'T think they'd say that in a typical party poker micro limit game.

*EDIT*

AND, if most of my table DOES think that way, I stand up and find a new table, because they are too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree, I think a lot of people would throw ATo away after a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll often 3bet it if its a CO openraise, and occasionally if its a hijack open .. but most of the time its a fold