Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2004, 03:34 AM

Default How long do I keep going?????

Standard 5-10 game......

3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to my immediate left brings it in for the 2 bucks.
all pass to me with (5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I of course raise with my 8 high.
Bring-in spoils my plan and makes it $10.
I call.

4th street I catch my perfect 7. my opponent also catches a 7.

I check.. he bets $5 and I call.

5th street I catch my 9. giving me the straight. Opponent catches an 8.

I am still high. I check. he bets $10. I checkraise to $20 and he calls.

6th I catch some rag ( Q for the specific minded ).. he catches an Ace and bets into me.
I raise. he re-raises.. and so on and so on.

Well it gets to ten bets and I KNOW I am still winning. I also know I am against a set here ( horribly overplayed by my opponent )

what do you do?
Keep raising or play it safe.

CJ
Old 02-28-2004, 04:18 AM

Default Re: How long do I keep going?????

Unless you feel you will resort to alcohol if you lose and go on mad tilt, or you are in a yummy game and don't have access to more money, or you are on a real small bankroll, which is probably not true, I see no reason not to go to the felt here. . .
Old 02-28-2004, 12:16 PM

"we go to 10 bets"

CJ, I'm sorry to hear you are still playing so passively!

Well, his board is 378A. I'm assuming he didn't have three of a suit on board, since you don't mention it, so your straight IS boss here.

He's been aggressive all along, so perhaps he had rolled threes? Let's assume that's his hand.

If so, he has the following outs to beat you:

one 3, two 7s, two eights, three aces. (I'm assuming nothing is dead other than the cards you hold).

So he has 8 outs, all clean since you basically can't improve.

So he's 32:8 against, but we'll make it a little better because you've seen 6 other cards on third, none of which, we'll assume, were ones he needs. So it's 26:8 or about 3:1.

Of course if he also has a four flush, he'll have as many as 9 additional outs. Now you're only a little better than even money, so this is crticial.

Assuming he does not have a four flush, I say put in as much as you care to wager at those odds. For me, that would probably be my entire buy in, or $300.

Hope you stacked his chips!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CJ, I'm sorry to hear you are still playing so passively!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am still the passively soft weak player I have always been.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CJ
Old 02-28-2004, 12:31 PM

If you can't comfortably put your whole stack in with this kind of an edge, you're playing too big for your bankroll. I'm a little suprised that you have to ask.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:59 PM

Actually, I think the question is how much edge do you have. At 3-1, sure put it all in. But give him, say, 7 flush outs and you're now only a slight favorite. Given that, I'd not put more in, because at most 5-10 tables where CJ plays (FW) I think my edge is more than that.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:41 PM

Well, if you have all your money in the world in front of you, of course you don't put it all in with a small edge. This is a large edge, though, and if you can't put it all in, you shouldn't be in the game. CJ is a bright guy who knows a little something about poker, but there is no way in hell that his edge in the game is so great that he should pass up this opportunity, whatever his bankroll. If his edge were that great, he's wasting his time playing $5/10, especially given the state of Foxwoods' $20/40 games, at least when I was there. He simply has to get his money in there.

If the other guy has a flush possibility, you're "only" a 3:2 favorite. You should still stick your stack in there. I say you should put in your stack with a 1% edge if you are playing within your bankroll. It is true that there will be other, more advantageous situations, but if you are playing within your bankroll, putting in $200-300 on this hand should not preclude you from taking advantage of them. Y'all do have $500-600 on you when you play $5/10, right? And you get paid next week, right?
Old 02-29-2004, 07:30 AM

I didn't hear anyone mention this is a tournament. Oh they didn't. Then let's stop using tourney logic. We can always reload
Old 02-28-2004, 09:00 PM

Hi,

I'm a little suprised that you have to ask

Well I don't have too, but am curious as to an overall consensus to what others would do. I am sure that those of you who know me...know what I did [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CJ
Old 02-28-2004, 08:28 PM

any game where they let a 3 and 8 play for free is full of bad players but tight ones so the game is probably not worth playing in.
back to the question. raise forever unless you are in a home game or shady place.
also dont forget every once in a while you will find someone that will do this with aces up reasoning you have two pair as well. ive seen it enough times. if he will go to the cloth with trips it means his judgement is bad and two pair is a possibility.