Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: So the Dodgers\' new manager is...

Try putting "his best pitcher" in bold. I'm not saying it was a great decision, but its not like he had a great bullpen either.
Francona wasting Pedro in game 7 with a 7 run lead is far tougher to explain, but he gets off because the team came through in the WS.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 AM

Grady Little was questioned ALL YEAR. Also, read some of the game threads if you can find them. The decision was criticized as it was happening almost universally.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:48 AM

I am not saying it wasn't a bad decision, just that I think he has taken more than enough crap for it.
I don't think it is completely awful for the Dodgers to give him another shot. He definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't think that he shouldn't get a 2nd chance.
Speaking of guys who deserve a 2nd managerial job, why the hell doesn't Cito Gaston's name ever come up?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but its not like he had a great bullpen either.

[/ QUOTE ]

go look at how they had performed down the stretch run

[ QUOTE ]
Francona wasting Pedro in game 7 with a 7 run lead is far tougher to explain

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh, no.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try putting "his best pitcher" in bold. I'm not saying it was a great decision, but its not like he had a great bullpen either.
Francona wasting Pedro in game 7 with a 7 run lead is far tougher to explain, but he gets off because the team came through in the WS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Up until Game 7 ALCS 2003, the Sox 8th inning pitcher (Timlin) had allowed 0 ER in the playoffs that year, and their closer (Williamson) had allowed 1 ER, a meaningless solo home run while recording a save. They had been as close to automatic as you could get.

In Game 7 2004 ALCS, the Sox bullpen was completely destroyed from the marathon games earlier in the series, and they had a game plan to go to their best pitchers first. Hence, Pedro for an inning, to help build a bridge to Foulke. As it was, if he was able to get out w/o much work, it could be treated like a side session.

I for one was happy w/ Pedro starting Game 3 of the WS. Game 3 tends to be the most important game of any 7-game series - a team up 2-0 has the chance to go 3-0, a dominating lead, or can go down to 2-1, barely even a lead. Tied 1-1, you have the chance to take the lead or lose it, and down 2-0 you have the chance to get back in the series, or go down a scary 3-0. Add to that the fact that the Cardinals had been incredible at home the whole playoffs, I thought it was good to have our best pitcher there to shut them down and keep them from building any momentum.