Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-24-2005, 04:30 PM

Default why the disparity between knowledge and results?

Why, in your opinion can literally hundreds of thousands of players buy proven how to poker books and not translate the knowledge into consistent cash results?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: why the disparity between knowledge and results?

They apply the concepts at the wrong time / play too loose preflop.

Playing winning poker is boring.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing winning poker is boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I second that. I have been playing a lot of SNGs lately and people play great for the first say 2 levels then something bad happens they let there emotions get involved and next thing you know they are calling to the river with only top pair.

Knowing what to do is one thing. Having the discipline to do it is another.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:13 PM

you think it is mostly discipline versus the hard to explain intangibles ? Like "know your player" and 'it's all situational"?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:30 PM

1) They are stupid. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Talking to people who have an 'average' intelligence sometimes frustrates me. And then to think that half the people are even less intelligent...

2) They do not work at their game. They might read a book once but they don't study it and truely take the time to think about their game.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:43 PM

Truly Niediam? You think the "average" person is just lazy?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:17 PM

That wasn't quite what I meant... even though perhaps in today's world it's atleast somewhat true.

Most people probably just don't want to put in the work needed to become a good poker player because they would rather use the time at work, with family, cleaning out the basement, etc.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:18 PM

in context to the discussion... do you play professionally?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why, in your opinion can literally hundreds of thousands of players buy proven how to poker books and not translate the knowledge into consistent cash results?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that the majority of people who buy a good poker book (SSHE, HOH, etc.) never finish reading it. They read some of it, they play some poker, they read a little more, and the book ends up on the shelf. I read somewhere that surveys have shown that only about 10% of self-help books purchased are completely read.

There is no reason to believe that it is any different for poker books. Those books take an effort to read and understand. Most people are put off by math and by thinking about general principles. I can just see the average player trying to read a discussion about implied odds, bogging down, putting the book aside, and turning on the WPT.

They are looking for a quick fix, a cook book for winning. There have been a number of posts here by people who have read SSHE, but are convinced that they are not winning because the starting hand charts are not right for their games. Their requests for "better" charts shows they didn't get it. They are convinved that if they just had the right chart for Party 1/2 6 max, or whatever, they could turn pro and retire early.

I'm sure that most of the people who do read books like these get nowhere near the potential benefit. You don't read a book like HOH like you read a novel. You study it like you study a text book in a tough college course. This is tougher than college, because the answer to every test question is, "It depends". You need to read the book, play some poker, study the book, play some more, analyse your results, study some more, and repeat. It takes a lot more thought and work than the average day job.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:31 PM

excellent response, thank you. How long did it take you to "get it" after studying the recommended books?