Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-30-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Wherein hero questions his trigger happy ways

The button in this hand is a call down expert, but occasionally gets aggressive trying to steal pots or with good hands. I haven't played that much with him, he's 53/17/1 over 66 hands. The BB has loose stats as well: 51/32/1.6 over 100 hands, all datamined. I haven't noticed his play at all at this table, good or bad.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Wherein hero questions his trigger happy ways

If BB is overaggressive on the turn then I really like a raise here, with the intention of checking behind UI on the river. You may get the button to fold a better hand and you may still be beating the BB, although he could be playing a hand like 88. In that case, you'll get to showdown for free (since 88 isn't going to 3-bet you), get to see if your hand is good, and have 6 outs to catch him too.

However, I don't think a fold is terrible in this spot either. It really depends on what BBs standards for donking the turn are. Calling is clearly wrong.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:19 PM

make sure you have enough hands on the villain on the turn. over 100 hands, only half saw the flop, even less saw the turn. a high turn AF could be result of sample size.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:42 PM

I think the preflop cap is close, but I don't mind it.

As for the turn, I'd probably just let it go. You're likely behind at this point; BB seems aggressive, but I would be surprised to see him gettin' jiggy with &lt;=AJ in a 3-way pot. Your implied odds arent great so you'll probably need like 4.5-5ish clean outs to justify a call. I don't think your over outs are good that often.

edit: your name rocks btw
Old 12-30-2005, 03:45 PM

I like the preflop cap. You've got button spewing and an overaggressive player raising OOP.

Either cap pf or raise (almost) any flop.