Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 03:26 PM

Default asking a stranger to watch your stuff

background:
I go to a law school with about 1500 students. There are many places to study, most of which require key-card access. Some of these rooms are usually well-populated and some of are usually empty. Most people just leave their laptops and bags when they go to take a bathroom break or print something out. Sometimes for even longer periods like a meal break. (side note: I always take my stuff with me)

situation:
I'm studying in one of these large key-carded rooms late at night. There is one other person in there. She is studying on the other side of the room. She comes over and asks me to watch her laptop and such for about 20 min. What I started to think about while she was gone was whether or not her stuff was actually more likely to get jacked given that she told me she would be gone for a considerable period. If I did jack her stuff she could easily have discovered who I am given that I'm in the building every day and all law students' pictures are in the facebook. However, she doesn't know that I'm a law student. Students from other areas of the university (and possibly other schools as well) study in the law school. True, there is key card access, but it's pretty easy to just follow someone in.

focus:
When have you asked a stranger to watch your things? What other situations can you think of where you might do so? Would you be more likely to if there were a lot of people around or just one? What is the most valuable thing you would ask a stranger to watch?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: asking a stranger to watch your stuff

wow, do you ever get laid missing comeons like this?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09 PM

only an idiot would ask a total stranger to watch thier stuff.

Whenever anyone ever aks me to watch their stuff, I always very seriously ask "how do you know I'm not going to steal it?". They usually then take it with them, which is good cuz I HATE watching other peoples stuff. Why the hell do people think its ok to burden someone they dont know with responsibility? I've straight up told people before that if they arent back when im ready to go, im leaving anyway, and i do.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:12 PM

Damn. I thought this thread was about someone getting off by being voyeured.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:24 PM

I ask strangers to watch my bags when I'm at the airport. Good times.

But at any other time, I wouldn't expect a stranger to watch anything for me. If I trust my environment, I just leave it there. If I don't, I take it with me (this is usually the case.)

I wonder if she would have been mad at you if you tampered with her goodies in a fun but not destructive way....like change her computer wallpaper or something. "Hey it's your fault girl...be thankful I didn't delete your [censored]."

ScottieK
Old 11-30-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
only an idiot would ask a total stranger to watch thier stuff.

Whenever anyone ever aks me to watch their stuff, I always very seriously ask "how do you know I'm not going to steal it?". They usually then take it with them, which is good cuz I HATE watching other peoples stuff. Why the hell do people think its ok to burden someone they dont know with responsibility? I've straight up told people before that if they arent back when im ready to go, im leaving anyway, and i do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Psyche studies show that asking a stranger to watch your stuff very very highly increases the chance that they will protect it should someone else try adn steal it. In no cases in the study did the stranger (didn't know they were in the study) try adn steal the stuff themselves. Therefore, asking a stranger is +ev.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:34 PM

Ya know, it's true what they say... Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, still do serve a purpose.....
Old 11-30-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, asking a stranger is +ev.

[/ QUOTE ]

only in comparison to not asking anyone and just leaving it. Its still -EV compared to not letting your stuff out of your sight.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:42 PM

I really hate being obligated to remain somewhere with some responibility while someone I dont know is on break. When someone asks, I usually say yes, cuz Im a pussy, but if I have to leave I have to leave.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:43 PM

I don't talk to strangers.