Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 11:01 PM

Default OK play or foolish lucky overplay?

I am new to no-limit being 47 years old and raised on limit games. I'm wondering if I won the following hand because I made the right play or just made a dumb but lucky overplay.

This occurred in a semi-loosish game with lots of limping pre-flop but lots of folding on the flop. I'm in early position with T8s and limp along folowed by 6 or 7 others.

The flops comes all spades with an ace. Great, I flopped a flush and the ace is out to give me some action. I bet $15.

Tightish opponent #1 is holding the nut flush and just calls. LAG Opponent #2 has a bad ace and just calls.

The turn brings a red ace, pairing the board. At this point, I still feel I have the best hand so I go ahead and bet $50. Opponent #2 just calls with the nut flush. Opponent 3 now has 3 aces and makes it $100, and I decide I'm still probably good and make it $200.

Opponent #2 thinks for awhile and folds and trip aces re-raises all in (another $100 or so). I call instantly, the river is a blank, and I win.

When the nut flush guy saw the hands he was vexed to say the least. He seemed to think I was crazy for thinking I had the best hand. My attitude is the odds of 2 players flopping a flush are low enough that I'm not going to worry about it.

I just think the nut flush guy made a bad fold and a bad slow play.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: OK play or foolish lucky overplay?

hello sandsmarc, first of all, when you want to post a hand, you have to post the stack sizes/blinds as they are vital information when making a decision/asking us for advice.

Also, conceal your opponent's holdings instead of telling us who had what, as it sometimes leads others on the forum to give you a reply which will be skewed by the result.

I think turn was nicely played, given your read on LAG player is correct. it is most likely a LAG player will raise with set/flush/2pair on the flop, so when he pops you on the turned ace, I guess you can rule out that he has your flush beat so therefore raising with the best hand because there are many cards on the river that could kill your action, such as board double pairing, 4th spade, etc.

The nut flush guy got what he deserved for playing like a nit. You played your (good) hand aggresively, so congrats on well earned pot.

I nearly never slowplay nut flush, or any flush for that matter because it's much easier to stack lower flush/set/2pair if you play them fast. Many new NL players make the mistake of slowplaying strong/vunerable hands but they fail to recognize it not only gives other guys the chance to draw out on them but by not betting the flop, they fail to build a pot big enough to stack other opponents by river (if not sooner).

nh