Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM

Default WPT..are they making Deals?

After watching the WPT 'show' last night, I cannot help but think at least the top two finishers must have made a deal. If so, I didn't think they allowed deals.

I thought for much of the show, thier play was often borderline foolish, rediculious.

I will probably take some heat for this post (that's OK) but at more than one point I nearly couldn't watch the silliness anymore. didn't feel it was professional.

Would appreciate any opinions on this issue. I realize without some 'drama, excitement' it might hurt ratings, but I can't BELIEVE for that kind of money (nearly $2.5 MILLION), those two players would play the way they did.

Comments please, thank you.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: WPT..are they making Deals?

Yeah, they probably should have waited for AA or KK and folded everything else.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:43 PM

they may have made deals...it's possible. what would that have to do with making a lot of mistakes? like they just didn't care anymore? if they dealt, they'd still be playing for something. like 100k or something, right?

you just didn't like how they played. when you get to there, show 'em how it's done, 'kay? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

After watching the WPT 'show' last night, I cannot help but think at least the top two finishers must have made a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, like most, I have no actual knowledge of whether they do or not, but that aside, with the monies involved ($1 million for 2nd; $1.5 million for 1st) - how much of a deal could they have made? They each get $1.2 million and play off for the extra hundred grand? With the weighting they had, deal-making gets less and less likely, especially given the potential penalties AND negative press associated with it.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 04-14-2005, 01:53 PM

good point, baron. i didn't see it, but that's an interesting breakdown. it seems that wpt might do that sort of thing on purpose to discourage deals.

i know this: if i were in the final three at the wsop, and we had a break, i'd be scrambling for a deal. the way that money is broken down, you'd have to be nuts to not chop it up.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:42 PM

I have the following (bad) strategy when it comes to chops: if I'm in a tourney and we're down to the top ... whatever ... and people start talking about chopping, if the consensus is to chop, I'll chop; if it's to not chop, then I'm fine with that too. I know this isn't +EV as I should look for my own best spots to chop / not chop rather than let others dictate, it is just "one of those things" that I let slide into the -EV. I've done chops at the Final 9 where I was cool with it and been down to two with another guy who wouldn't chop with me ... and then won the tournament every time this scenario came up, except that once. But we won't talk about that one time.

This is usually either hundreds up through a few thousand dollars. I don't know about bigger events -- whether I get $1,200 as a payout or $2,000 is pretty irrelevant to my life, but if I were playing where, say, like last year David Williams got $2.5 million and Grey Raymer got $5 million, I doubt I'd chop there as the money is already going to be life altering -- and I'd rather play for the title. My life isn't going to be that much different with 3.75 million vs. 2.5 or 5, if that makes much sense.

So I guess my inclination is NEVER to chop unless others want it and then I just can't be bothered -- unless I'm playing for a title.

Or something.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Needs to think about this more. Or less. Not quite sure.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:51 PM

The WPT does not allow any deals for it's prize money. That is in the official "word" from WPTE, for what it's worth. On another note, I missed it last night, was it that bad?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:55 PM

I believe that the WPT banned deals in 2003 after Paul Phillips and Mel Judah made a deal at the Bike. Feel free to correct me if I'm misinformed, but that was my recollection. I am not sure which mistakes you are talking about that would have indicated a deal might have taken place. I saw a lot of gambling...
Old 04-14-2005, 04:43 PM

Yeah one guy calls off a ton of chips with 84s PF then calls AI after with a gutshot.

That's the hand that was majorly STUPID in many eyes, including my own.

I think the final 2 was bad, looked like any 2 would do, of course we don't see all hands so it is the ODD hands that often get shown.

I think they both thought the cards didn't matter and could outplay post flop with Q6o and worse.

>TW<
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM

the initial call with 84s was bad, the AI call post flop wasnt terrible. The pot was huge and his call was so small he was probably getting the odds for it. Of course, he should have just folded preflop and wouldnt have been in that situation.