Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Led Zeppelin

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Zeppelin and Nirvana are considered by the general public to be two of the greatest bands of all time. How in God's name can you say either band is underrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will guess that KB4Z was like ten years old at the height of Nirvana's popularity. Scary thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

16 when it was released. close though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Zeppelin and Nirvana are considered by the general public to be two of the greatest bands of all time. How in God's name can you say either band is underrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

the general public considers their music to be awesome. however, the general public doesn't understand or appreciate how genre defining/important their music was.

Most people will tell you that Pearl Jam started the 'grunge music' movement, which is not true.

the whole explosion can be traced to the very first notes on Track 1 on Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, most people I talk to would say that Nirvana started the whole grunge movement, and some would mention Motherlovebone.

Whatever, though. Let's you and I agree to agree.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jimmy Hendrix is a much better guitar player than Led Zeppelin.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement absolutely sucks. Music isn't a competition, it is an artform. Your statement is like saying Picasso was a better painter than Dali. In art there is no good, better, best....there are only peoples opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weakling!

Old 12-16-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jimmy Page has some nice riffs, but his playing is nowhere near the level of self-expression that a Jimi Hendrix or a Stevie Ray Vaughan exhibits.

I find a lot of their live performances rather self-indulgent.

[/ QUOTE ]
I find these two statements to be contradictory. You think Zep's live performances were self-indulgent but SRV's not? IMO, SRV is the epitome of the self-indulgent blues rock guitarist. Yes he was a really great guitarist and plays expressive solos, but his songwriting ability doesn't compare to Page's.

[ QUOTE ]
I used to love these guys as a teenager, like every teenager, but nowadays I get sick of them hitting me over the head with riffs on every song. I think a lot of their stuff is repetitive and overdone.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't like a repeated melodic figure in your songs? What specifically is repetitive and overdone?

[ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that you can't really listen to a Zep album without coming across something they completely ripped off from someone and don't give credit for. I'm not just talking about styles, I'm talking about entire verses and choruses, sometimes entire songs that go uncredited.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is undoubtedly true and unfortunate with respect to the lyrics. Robert Plant did not do his job on many songs in the early years. However, Jimmy Page definitely didn't just cop old blues songs, they were his own.

Also, ripping off blues songs is not something that is unique to Zep. Robert Johnson himself stole entire blues songs from his predecessors.

[ QUOTE ]

Usually when I come across a Zep tune on the radio I'll listen for a while (unless it's Kashmir, which I think is one of the most boring popular songs ever), but I'll be flipping before the end of the song.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's just not your cup of tea. It is an excellent song.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
however, the general public doesn't understand or appreciate how genre defining/important their music was.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll bite. I like their music, but don't consider it "genre defining" or "important". But maybe that's because I was rocking before Led was born.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:09 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
the whole explosion can be traced to the very first notes on Track 1 on Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole grunge explosion? ummm. no.

The buzz about 'grunge' was not started by Nirvana. The sparks started just a bit before Nirvana.(motherlovebone/AIC/Soundgarden come to mind) Not to mention, that album sat on the racks of stores for about a year before it finally took off. They were the nail in the coffin for 80s rock. But they weren't the wood that laid the foundation.

Not to mention saying Led Zep is underappreciated is absolute crap. Everyone's been forcefed their stuff in mass amounts for about 30 years now. Including how important, genre defining their music was.

b
Old 12-16-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i agree with that, but stevie ray vaughn is better than hendrix

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Anyone else disagree.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole grunge explosion? ummm. no.

The buzz about 'grunge' was not started by Nirvana. The sparks started just a bit before Nirvana.(motherlovebone/AIC/Soundgarden come to mind) Not to mention, that album sat on the racks of stores for about a year before it finally took off. They were the nail in the coffin for 80s rock. But they weren't the wood that laid the foundation.

[/ QUOTE ]

good points
Old 12-16-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now when you're talkin' about Hendrix we can finally work the term "Musician god" into the conversation. SRV was great, but he worshipped at the alter of Hendrix.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now when you're talkin' about Hendrix we can finally work the term "Musician god" into the conversation. SRV was great, but he worshipped at the alter of Hendrix.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Jimi Hendrix is pretty solidly the number one guitar player, ever.

Sure there are plenty of guitarists who have greater technical ability, but I don't think SRV is one of them.