Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 04:42 PM

Default PLHE shorthanded query - when a squeeze play gets countered

We are playing a 2-table 12 person PLHE tournament, 1st gets entry into the $215 WCOOP event, second gets $25.

Blinds 75/150, I am in the BB with A7o. Action is five handed on the final table. I have 1600, button has around 2500, SB has about 4000. The other two players have between 3500 and 5000.

Folded to button who limps, SB completes. I have button noted as a guy who likes limping a lot in position and isn't altogether aggressive postflop. I've gotten him to fold 3 or 4 flops with smallish continuation bets. I think I can get him to fold, but SB is a different story. He was the kind who would not raise preflop much at all, but made good postflop decisions and raised hard on tough boards. Not a TAG, but a tricky player for sure.

My image is LAG, lots of raises and reraise isolations, but I've been folding a little too much to people firing back at me.

I raise it to 600. Button folds. SB pushes. 1900 in the pot, 1000 for me to call.

Folding would make me the short stack at the table (I was shortie to begin with), but the blinds rise in about 5 minutes.

Is this a call? I'm getting 3:1 on the call here but is that worth it, given SB's standards?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: PLHE shorthanded query - when a squeeze play gets countered

yes, but why oh why did you raise preflop.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:45 PM

I listed my reasons. Please tell me why my thought process is wrong when I know I can get button to fold and will call any further trickiness from SB.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:51 PM

you call becausee sb has crap, and you "squeeze" a raise and a call, not limp/call
Old 09-06-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I listed my reasons. Please tell me why my thought process is wrong when I know I can get button to fold and will call any further trickiness from SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I think you overvalue your fold equity pf. If button calls, you're in a quandry given stack concerns and leading out most of the time w/ no pair and often no draw... and in this case, most of the C-bet you'll make will be all in.

also, given the actions which have taken place, and this satelitte it's winner-take-all (I qualified through this one, actually) you need to call. Plus, you say you're lag, he may be making a move at you w. a lot less then you expect.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: PLHE shorthanded query - when a squeeze play gets countered *DELETED*

Post deleted by TomHimself
Old 09-06-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just push pf.
edit- you have 2 call anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

plh
Old 09-06-2005, 06:15 PM

I was confident enough that button would fold. I didn't really factor him having a hand here. A button limp from this guy meant he had a marginal hand. Factor my raise + SB was still to act behind him meant a clear button fold

[ QUOTE ]

also, given the actions which have taken place, and this satelitte it's winner-take-all (I qualified through this one, actually) you need to call. Plus, you say you're lag, he may be making a move at you w. a lot less then you expect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically 2nd got his money back plus $3, but I get you. And that's why I called. He had 66, board was xTTJJ, and I become a happy person.

Finished second though w/ T7 against swede's A7 on AT7 flop [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]