Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Super Tuesday early hand

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Early in the Super last night, 15/30 blinds... UTG with a 1500 stack limps (note: he had played AA well on KKx board), I have a 900ish stack and limp UTG+2 w/KQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] one other limper, blinds in- 5 of us in a 150 pot see a flop of

K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

sb bets out 60, bb folds, UTG calls, I raise to 275- other limper folds, sb folds, UTG thinks and calls.

(pot 610)

Turn is a blank. UTG "thinks" and checks, I check (?).

(pot 610)

River is a blank. UTG thinks a bit, then bets 700, a little over what we have left (675ish) Your move with original info?

A few hands later he gives away most of his stack in donk-like fashion... thoughts with this new info?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Super Tuesday early hand

He's called twice on the flop on a draw heavy board, he's probably drawing as I'd expect him to raise at least the 2nd time if he had a made hand.

Push the turn.

By checking behind the turn you have opened yourself up to a bluff bet that you is really tough to call, espcially if the river is a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or any card that completes a straight. You have also opened yourself up to being drawn out for free, essentially giving infinite implied odds.

My guess is that he had either KQ as well, or two big spades, and was drawing to 1/3 of the deck.

The pot is big enough in relation to your stack that your only realy bet is the rest of your stack, so make it all in on the turn.

I think I call his river bet.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 PM

If you fold, what hand are you folding to?

I have a hard time fitting any hand better than yours to his line. I guess he could open limp KJs or 55 or JJ UTG, but it's not the most common play. I highly doubt it's AK or KK or K5 or J5.

It looks a lot more like an AQs/ATs/QTs type drawing hand (I can't really see any made other made hand that he plays this way, save maybe KQ). On the flop he decided not to raise the initial bettor since his odds were good and he wanted to win a big pot should he hit any of his 12 nut outs. When you raise, some players would push there with those hands but with 2.6:1 pot odds, again he may be looking to hit and pull down a big one.

If you started with 900 ish then you have 600ish left on the turn, and unless that call convinced you that you're beat, I'd shove it in there. Checking behind you pretty much expect to be put in on the river, so make up your mind on the turn as to whether or not you want your chips in the pot. If you check the turn you could either let a draw get there on the river (and lose the pot, with or without the rest of your chips) or get bluffed out on the river, often by a hand that would call your turn bet.

Kings
Old 08-17-2005, 12:24 PM

Thanks Woodguy- a few factors that stopped me from pushing the turn:

He limped utg, so I'm thinking AA, KK, or any pocket pair.

My only note says he played his aces well on a tough board earlier. I had it set in my head that he was trying to get me to bet... true, it's a draw-heavy board, but I'm the only one left in the pot and I'm not playing it like a draw. If he's a solid player with AA, he could be thinking he's way ahead/way behind and will be check/calling me. Or, he has a set and figures I'll bet as I raised on the flop.

Or I could be overanalizing this and he's just on a draw. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Either way I had planned to call a reasonable bet on the river. When he pushed, I couldn't figure out if it was his missed draw, or a value bet that he was trying to make look like he missed his draw. All this overanalizing was being done because of my read that he was solid. The factor that put me over the edge was the timing on his actions, everything thought out and deliberate. I went to the tank and eventually folded.

When I saw he was a donk a few plays later, I would have interpreted it as a missed draw and called. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He limped utg, so I'm thinking AA, KK, or any pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

His lack of raising on the flop goes against that range....and its a little early to see monsters under the bed.

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a solid player with AA, he could be thinking he's way ahead/way behind and will be check/calling me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a set doesn't want to see another spade or broadway come off on the turn. If he's got a set, he's ahead, but not way ahead (of the draws), and an overpair is even more vulnerable.

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't figure out if it was his missed draw, or a value bet that he was trying to make look like he missed his draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem with not betting the turn.

Get em next time.

Regards,
Woodguy