Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Anyone else fold KK here preflop?

Playing $1/$2 ($200max) NL live last weekend. Been at the table since it opened in the early evening. Built my stack to @ $750. Villan has @$350. Read on him is he is solid, but has LAG-ish qualities. Will only reraise with made/very solid hands.

I'm UTG and find KK. I raise to $23 (not an over the top raise for the table as most have large stacks compared to the buy-in...avg is $300+...also, we had a "prime number" joke running for raises at the table, hence the $23). Folded to villan in MP who starts talking to me and reraises me $80 more. Folded around to me. I go in the tank for about a minute and look him over. He seems quite relaxed and is talking to me the whole time. Finally, I decide to lay it down and toss him my K's face up. His face drops and asks "How did you get away from K's?" I smiled and said, "Easily when you have Aces" [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] He flashed black A's to the table and I feel like a million bucks.

Am I making too much of this? Is this "normal" to be able to lay down a big PP preflop?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Anyone else fold KK here preflop?

Online? Never. Live, if you have a read. Seems like you had a read. Can't see how any of us can help you here.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Online? Never. Live, if you have a read. Seems like you had a read. Can't see how any of us can help you here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree 100%
Old 07-22-2005, 11:28 PM

Better be a damn good read to fold to just a raise and not a reraise. Good play, although I bet a lot of times it's not AA he shows.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Better be a damn good read to fold to just a raise and not a reraise. Good play, although I bet a lot of times it's not AA he shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it was a reraise.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it was a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

200% agree, then. Huh? I'm dumb.

Although I do agree that laying KK down for just a raise better be a damn good read.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:03 AM

I'm not sure I really like the idea of showing this laydown to the villian. Even if I am pretty confident in my read, I don't want the table to know that I am capable of making this good of a laydown (unless maybe I was having a fun game with friends). If he is so willing to play your game, as he was in this hand, and show that he did indeed have AA then some simple table banter might have done the trick. I'd prefer to say I was making a great laydown and I can't believe it but don't show.

After making this laydown and showing it, just remember that people will be more likely to take shots at you so this will probably affect the range of hands they are putting pressure on you with.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I really like the idea of showing this laydown to the villian. Even if I am pretty confident in my read, I don't want the table to know that I am capable of making this good of a laydown (unless maybe I was having a fun game with friends). If he is so willing to play your game, as he was in this hand, and show that he did indeed have AA then some simple table banter might have done the trick. I'd prefer to say I was making a great laydown and I can't believe it but don't show.

After making this laydown and showing it, just remember that people will be more likely to take shots at you so this will probably affect the range of hands they are putting pressure on you with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes a lot of sense. But, when I decided to show this, I, maybe wrongly, thought that my play would garner a ton of respect and therefore would allow me to get away with more, ie. bluffs and semi-bluffs.

To be honest, your interpretation never really crossed my mind. One thing that I did find advantageous about showing the laydown was that for the rest of the weekend, I played almost exclusively the $1/$2 NL game and each day there was someone who was at the table when I showed my K's. They told my "story" for me and this did have the effect that I wanted...I was able to steal more, but at the same time, it forced me to slowplay bigger hands due to getting, dare I say, too much respect on my raises.

Thanks for the feedback all. I guess I was just looking for feedback on the hand and whether others would/could do this as well. And yes, it WAS a reraise. To a single raise, I don't know anyone that lays down K's preflop.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? Laying down KK (or maybe other huge laydowns) and showing them can be very +EV at an agressive, tricky table. They will constantly be trying to bluff you out of pots later on, which is goot when you have a strong hand.