Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Am I any good?

Hello, I am a first timer at two plus two. I have been a reader of the forums for a relatively short period of time, but i just had question. I decided to start playin online poker after playing only a limited amount of poker with friends of mine. I was referred to Sklansky, and so i bought and have read through SSH a couple times. I started with 50$ on Party Poker and have been playing about 4 hours a day and im up to 265 after playing for four days. I know this is a pretty high win rate, and i am sorry that i have no statistics. I just downloaded poker tracker and am attempting to master its use, but i was just curious what you guys, my obvious poker superiors could hypothesized as to why i am doing so well. I dont know if its possible to win this much, because no one on the forms talks of such a high win rate, at least that i have noticed. i read one post who said it took him 2 months to reach 250 on party poker after starting with 50. I was just wondering what you though, i am sorry for the long windedness of this, but i just dont want to offend anyone, or come off as a prick or anything like that. im just worried that im doing something wrong or that this cannot last. i follow ssh hands, play as TAG as i can. ok, ill shut up now, my mindless blabbering must stop. thank you very much, these forums have helped me immensely.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Am I any good?

Poker is a long-term game.

4 days is not long-term. Keep playing and you should be able to answer your own question.

KO
Old 01-22-2005, 02:27 AM

Mickey Morandini once batted .500 for 4 days. Is he any good? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mickey Morandini once batted .500 for 4 days. Is he any good? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Bill Brasky pulled my arm off and batted 1.200 with it. And I loved him for it. And he was terrible at baseball.

Your sample size is too small; analysing your play and maintaining a winning record over at least 10k hands (but more like 100k) will show whether you are good or not.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:33 AM

poker is a game of swings, both up and down. you started off on an upswing, good for you. what matters most is how you play when the deck isnt hitting you between the eyes. thats how you know if your any good or not. until then keep studying, post hands, and dont be suprised if some of the good players flame you a bit. the important thing is that you've come to the right place if you want to become good.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:39 AM

thank you for the posts, in retrospect it is kind of stupid for me to ask that. but i will keep up with the forums, and post hands when i feel the need and thanks alot for the encouragement
Old 01-22-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a long-term game.

4 days is not long-term. Keep playing and you should be able to answer your own question.

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

It is long term in a butterfly's life.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:46 AM

play for many more months, many more hands, read and study many more books and hands posted on the forums, and have fun. don't ever play if you're not having fun. it makes for a miserable life. if you honestly have to ask if you're any good after 4 days of playing, then you probably don't understand the game well enough to be at that level of "good".
Old 01-22-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It is long term in a butterfly's life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I hope it doesn't play poker, because he'll never find out how good he is!

KO
Old 01-22-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have fun. don't ever play if you're not having fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kudos to you JEM! I hit a streak recently where I couldn't win, was playing awful, and was miserable. I then looked back on when I first started playing, when it was fun and I did better. I decided that when it was fun I did better. It may be a chicken or egg situation, but I think it has some validity.