Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Discussion on when *Not* to go all-in when betting 40%

"Now, suppose that you have $2,500 in front of you, and you bring it in for $1,500. Then, somebody reraises behind you. You are pot-committed and you go on with the play b/c you have more than 1/2 of your chips already in the pot. An experienced player often will pot-commit himself by putting in most of his chips when he raises b/c he knows that if he gets reraised, he will automatically go for the rest of it. A less experienced player might htink that he can blow the raiser off the hand by reraising. He mistakenly believes that the raiser will save that extra $500 or $1,000 that he has left.

What the inexperienced reraiser doesn't realize is that the only reason that the reaiser has pot-committed himself is so that he cannot get away from the hand."

Any guesses on who wrote that, and any thoughts on that?

To me, it basically looks like he's lowering his chance of making people fold with marginal hands in exchange for hoping to bait weak hands into reraising to bluff. It's unclear to me, but I believe this example may have been in reference to a hand of AKo.

I'll reveal the author later. And hopefully it's ok to quote this passage. I guess it might be some sort of copyright infringement.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Discussion on when *Not* to go all-in when betting 40%

I like the play with KK, & AA. But nothing else. Also, if it is as much as 60% of the stack, I say just push. An experienced player might see that bet as extremely fishy, and act accordingly.