Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Think I misplayed my hand on river

I was playing in the early stages of a 10 handed, $30+3 tourney. In mid position, I am dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I call along with 3 other players. The flop is all babies with two [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and one [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](all under 8...sorry I dont have access to hand record)--everyone checks. Another small [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hits the board (no pair on board)--everyone checks again. No flush possible; straight is possible but don't expect a slowplay straight w/ two-suited board. River is Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet and everyone folds.
Why I think I played this wrong is: according to poker theory, you should have the best hand the majority of the time YOU ARE CALLED in order to make a river bet. By betting the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], my action SCREAMS "I have a Q." Hence, no one calls me unless they have a Q too, and w/ my iffy kicker, I probably don't win 50% of the time. In hindsight, a better move would be to check--with no bets since before the flop, there's a good chance someone with a small pair or A high might try to pick up the pot. I probably would have won a bit more this way. Feedback appreciated.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Think I misplayed my hand on river

You're probably right. I'm really not sure I'd play QJs from mid position though, unless the 3 limpers were already in the pot, then maybe.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:15 AM

You are right. Try to get a free showdown with this hand. (I fold it preflop though)
Old 11-04-2005, 09:30 AM

this is pretty much a classic example of inducing a bluff.