Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 06:34 PM

Default which direction do I go

There are a few should I turn pro posts, this isn't one of them. I'm not ready nor do I have the bankroll. My question is, to win $1000 a week, at what level (and aproximate hours, was thinking 4 or 5 days a week, 5 - 8 hours a day), of different types of games would I need to be at. Which would be the most consistant. I enjoy the MTT's, placed well in a couple, but they aren't at all consistant. SNG's seem doable. I've read 15% ROI which means if my math is even close, 120 a week at the $50 level. I've also read the 15% is doable at lower levels, what can you expect at the $50 or $100 level?

I actually have about 10k hands at the pp $25 nl, 5k before they changesd the blind structure a few months ago at 17ish bb / 100, and about 12 bb / 100 after the change. That is mainly due to table selection, thurs- fri or sat night, 4 tables. My stacks dwindle for a while, and have huge spikes upwards with big pots. I don't know if that is how most do it, but it works for me. Not sure if it is consistant enough for 1k a week though.

Only did one reload worth of limit, don't have the PT in front of me, but if it weren't for the bonus, I think I would have lost money. It was a real unlucky streak of cards though, 800ish hands, 7 AA's(which isn't the unlucky part), one split, one win, the rest losses, including losing to aa via the flush one hand. Not discounting limit totally, if it was the consensus advice, I'd put in the hands to get a better feel of my play.

The PP shootouts intrigue me, seems like you only have to win the first round and the rest is gravy.

I mainly play on PP, have a few acounts on a few other site. Not stars yet. Bankroll is 1kish, although I could dig again here and there.

Where do I start? BWing? Build my bankroll to what amount? in order to concentrate on what specific game?

What I like are MTT's. What I think I play best at(right now) is NL. What would be most consistant would be limit.

Any gentle pushes(or even smacks upside the head) towards the direction I should go would be most appreciated.

Joe
Old 08-06-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: which direction do I go

$5/10 full at 1.6 BB/100 for 25 hours a week.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:54 PM

With a ~$1K bankroll I woud start out whoring other Party skins. Be smart and have an affiliate relationship for Empire and EB (see the classifieds). You can play NL $25 or $50 and clear it pretty fast -- I would stick to $25 for the lower risk of ruin. Or you can play 1/2 limit and clear it fast -- you sould also clear at 2/4 but 1/2 actually clears fast (rake stusture) and has a lower risk of ruin (near zero). Oh, and play good poker -- this is most important. Improve yr game as you go. Post hands on the approriate board.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:16 PM

After hitting up a few good bonuses, I'd consider giving limit a chance. It's not as glamarous as big tourneys or as exciting as no-limit, but it works well for a fairly consistent profit. I currently 3/4-table 3/6 6-max, and a conservative win rate of 1.3 BB/100 with a decent rakeback deal nets me approximately $37.50 per hour ($935 for a 25-hour week).

Good money can be made with SNGs. I had a two-month stretch in which I played them exclusively ($33s). Trying to play four at a time (and schedule bathroom breaks) became very tiring, though. Try the single-table tournament forum, and you'll get lots of input. Personally, I felt my limit game started to suffer when I played live because I was spending so much time in the SNGs.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:25 PM

Having a goal of $1K a week with a $1K bankroll is totally unreasonable. Its possible that you will run good right away and get enough cash that you have a shot. I would set your risk of ruin with that goal of $1k a week to be well over 50%.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:47 PM

The money you want to make per week, playing MTT's, is certainly attainable, but the variance is very high. This means that a $1000 bankroll could go very quickly. I've never tried just playing MTT's - mostly because I'm chicken (er, risk averse).

Playing 20-40 hours per week is a large spread, but certainly you can do your own math to see how many tables you need to play at one time while making $16 to $32 an hour to earn $1000 a week. 10x the big blind is still a reasonable goal up to the $200NL game, even if 3-tabling.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 12:14 AM

One thing no one ever talks about is how less stressful limit is when compared to NL.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing no one ever talks about is how less stressful limit is when compared to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]
Less stressful but a lot more aggravating because of the swings. (I play both).
Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 AM

I disagree. While I don't really find limit to be stressful,and would have to say on a scale of 1-10, poker never gets above a 3 on my stress meter, if limit is a 3, NL is just a 1. There is much less variance - so in my book, less stress.

People that don't play NL fail to realize that you are actually able to protect many hands. The times you lose to runner-runner or a gutshot straight draw in a limit game are probably 5 or 10 time more often than in a NL game.

For me, less suckouts = less stress. (actually, there are no suckouts, just people beating you with 7 cards, but you get the point)

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 01:07 AM

I agree with dogmeat here. In limit I find I can tilt a lot easier because there are more suckouts. In NL you protect your hands a lot more aggressively, so there are less suckouts.