Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 10:37 PM

Default hotly disputed $5 rebuy hand with repsected MTTer

Ok some background to the hand. $5 rebuy on stars, around 200 left. Villain has a huge stack from some crazy play in the rebuy period. The whole table went a bit mental which explains why there are so many chips on the table. I have been fairly active in late position picking up a few pots unchallenged. The previous round I raised with some junk from the button just at the same time someone asked who was still on our table from the original starters. When someone said I was, I commented 'maybe not for much longer if I raise the chip leader's blind'. the bb then folded saying 'I was going to call until your comments'.

The following round I feel he is ready to make a play at me and as luck would have it find a genuine hand on the button. I type 'you gonna call this time?' as i make a slightly larger raise looking as if I don't want to be called (or so I thought). He moves in instantly. My thoughts to follow the hand

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed) converter

UTG (t10635)
UTG+1 (t9528)
MP1 (t65130)
MP2 (t24489)
MP3 (t6812)
CO (t8405)
Hero (t39180)
SB (t20817)
BB (t79572)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t79497</font>, Hero?????

I thought that he could be making this play with a huge range of hands. Not quite any 2 cards but not that far off. Although taking the risk that he could have overcards so i'm flipping, I also thought there was a decent chance i could be miles ahead of a smaller pair or some bs resteal. If I call and win I have a double the avg stack with some serious chances to bully the table, if i fold i have an about avg stack. Anyways its fairly obvious I called by now, I got a lot of stick for this at he table, I even had the well known player's fan club taking shots at me. To be honest, I gave it some thought but came to the conclusion it was an easy call against his range. What say ye?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: hotly disputed $5 rebuy hand with repsected MTTer

P.S: if this is simple I apologise, i promised the player in question that I would post this hand as we had such opposite opinions....
Old 08-01-2005, 10:48 PM

I agree his range can be huge but I don't think I like calling allin with TT and healthy ~30BB stack.

Fold to this raise and move on.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:51 PM

Unless you are very sure of the player's style, I'd let it go at this stage of the tournament. You are still sitting pretty with almost 30 BB's. I'm not sure how many people play in this tournament. We're you inside the bubble?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree his range can be huge but I don't think I like calling allin with TT and healthy ~30BB stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 11:52 PM

Well, given the situation and your read I don't see how you can fold. People underestimate how fast the blinds move in this structure and 30BB becomes less than 10BB before you know it. You are a decent favorite over his range and if he has two overs, well you are gonna have to flip a coin a few times to win this tourney so no sense in ducking one here. I'm calling this relatively quickly....
Old 08-02-2005, 12:09 AM

Without reads I'd call after thinking about it. With your reads I call instantly.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem with this, is that you willingly agree that you are a favorite over his range, but you turn it down because you have chips to spare.

In two levels time.. you (likely) wont be so lucky as to have a 30 BB stack, and then you will be practically begging to get such a good hand as 10/10 vs a likely wide range..so you might as well take the situation now, rather then blinding off and hoping you get it later.

given the OP's range.. I would have a hard time not calling this instantly.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:39 AM

Maybe I am just not sold that his range is that huge. Soo... I check poker stove and yup you all are right if our read is correct you are a 2:1 fav over any PP and Any Ax hand.

That being said. What do you think of the push if your the big stack holding AA/KK. Pushing into an aggressive/outspoken raiser.

Do you think he will put you on any 2 cards and instantly call with many hands?

Not sure. Tonight I saw a guy sit down and raise virtually all his hands that he played and that was quite a few.

He usually won the blinds but Pat Southern took him on with 66. I am sure Pat put him on "any 2" only this time they were the same and Aces.

Yes Pat had the right read and Yes the pusher was nuts and yes the guy did eventually bust pushing ATx into AQs. But the point is sometime they actually have the goods.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:43 AM

Put yourself in the shoes of the BB. If you have AA-JJ, do you push?