Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: The worst TILT character ever...

<ul type="square"> [ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

was this character even remotely as annoying and ridiculous as that DAAAAAAAAAA! idiot from the WSOP?

No, he wasn't.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its "JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" ][/list]
Actually, I was watching my WSOP video tapes and it was "JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Old 03-04-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Notice also that it was on 3 separate monitors/laptops. Brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus one extra keyboard for good measure.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:56 PM

I assumed he was supposed to be Matias Andersen. Looked just like him. Did the finger shooting thing instead of the scream but the same idea. I didn't take it as a shot at internet players in general but rather at that paticular player from last years WSOP. I suspect the writers thought people would enjoy the Matias surrogate being taken out.

Next week we get the real Helmuth.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:30 PM

his face looks like he's been stabbed with a pitchfork a bunch of times
Old 03-05-2005, 02:53 AM

"DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Old 03-05-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square"> [ QUOTE ]
Quote:

was this character even remotely as annoying and ridiculous as that DAAAAAAAAAA! idiot from the WSOP?

No, he wasn't.

Its "JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" ][/list]
Actually, I was watching my WSOP video tapes and it was "JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Good lord, not the DA/JA debate AGAIN!!

For the record, Mattias Andersson (can't spell tonight as I'm on too much Robitussin!) himself in the incredibly stupid trip report he wrote ("I never read a book -- I have my own system!") says that he was shouting DAAAA!! He's actually rather proud of his "enthusiasm," as he calls it...Others may use less polite words...

(For those who don't remember, there were about 500 posts about the DA/JA in various WSOP threads!)
Old 03-05-2005, 04:55 PM

Default The problems I have with Tilt...

I'm not a Tilt basher either. I've watched enough of it to draw an opinion. As most here have complained, it is horrible on poker content. I understand the need to spice things up for televison. Most of the time, watching poker is like watching paint dry. Whomever their technical advisors are either being ignored or are not doing a very good job. How tough would it have been to make the "internet whiz kid" a little more realistic?

All of that aside, the biggest problem I have with the show is that none of the characters are very likeable. The girl is the closest to being a compelling character, but that could just be because she is pretty and blonde(a personal weakness of mine). Everytime Clark or Eddie start to be likeable, they seem to pull them back. The Matador isn't a bad villian, but he can't hold a candle to Mr. Blonde. That kind of ruins him. We'll see where they all end up, but I'm not optimistic.

Good Luck

Fitz
Old 03-05-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: The problems I have with Tilt...

As I've said before...I don't think it needs to be 'spiced-up' so much that it makes little sense.

Law and Order and ER are 'spiced-up' because REAL lawyer or nurse work would be kinda boring too. But at least the writing and dialogue are plausible.

I do think a more realistic portrayal of poker could and would make for entertaining an interesting television (ala the Rounders scene where they sit at the table chatting away and then pick-of the tourist-fish one-by-one).

------------------------------

Regarding the internet-kid and the most recent episode.
The show seemed equally terrible even with the sound-off on the closed-captioning. My GF and I were at a bar Thursday night and it was on one of the TV's.

Her comment regarding the internet-kid: "He needs a make-job REAL bad."