Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Did they Deal ?

TY all!!! guys, this is really awesome!!! I am one lucky SOB!!! I wish they would have taken a deal, I don't understand why they didn't. Did they sense weakness? If so, that gave me the edge I needed. 100k!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

CSC
Old 02-14-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Nice Win CardSharpCook !

WTG man, 100K is a lot of money. Good thing they didn't want to deal. You were running good and playing well, so once you got the chip lead, I was pretty sure you were going to win.

BTW, what was the worst hand you call my QJs allin with? It was a weird spot for me because it seemed too good to fold but a normal raise was nearly half my stack. Wasn't sure what to do with it and decided that since I had a tight image, that you'd need a monster (which you had) to call me. Was I wrong?

Anyway, great job.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:21 AM

You were being really, really nice when asking for the deal. I think they figured that meant they could run you over. Uh. Oops? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 AM

If anything you where willing to gambool it up, and that should have made them alittle more willing to take a deal.

You played great , with relentless pressure. Great poker you earned it.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, what was the worst hand you call my QJs allin with? It was a weird spot for me because it seemed too good to fold but a normal raise was nearly half my stack. Wasn't sure what to do with it and decided that since I had a tight image, that you'd need a monster (which you had) to call me. Was I wrong?

Anyway, great job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the chip counts at the time. This should answer your question though. Earlier in the tourney I had about 120k and moved in for 15K in the CO, the button came over top at 29K. I looked back down at my j9off, did some quick math, decided that with 105k I could afford to take the nice pot odds, and so I called. Of course, as my luck was running in that tourney, I caught the jack on the river, beating his AQ.

I don't like to talk about pot odds in tourneys, but sometimes when your chip stack is high enough, you can do it. Also, I was running over a lot of pots, I want people to think I'll call with anything.

Anyway, I'm no pro - I'm one lucky guy. You just remember that KJ v A7s hand. That was the difference between 3500 and 100k. luck.

Thanks again to all those who watched, I knew you all were there and rooting for me, and I appreciate it.

CSC
Old 02-14-2005, 12:49 AM

It was a pleasure to watch. Good to see one of the good guys win.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:05 AM

I didn't see it, but got excited for you just reading this thread! Congrats on the nice score!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:36 AM

great job

The AQ vs JJ and JJ was unreal.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:40 AM

Just out of curiosity CardSharp, what's your story? How long you been playing and how did you get into the tourney, et cetera? Just curious for all of us jealous amateurs out there.....

Brad
Old 02-14-2005, 04:52 AM

lol, an opportunity to talk about myself, how can I refuse. I'll be brief.

I'm a cook. I'm 24. Been playing for a year. That's right, a year. First started playing NL holdem Xmas '03, we played not for money with my bro, sis, friends. In Feb I found a game at culinary school.

I'm a natural at no-limit hold'em. I have "card sense". At school I started winning a lot. We would have a running game $20 buy in, MWSun, eventually, every night in the dorm lounge. Our weekly tourneys were fun... and I won the first five I played. There was a strech of time in which I had 12 winning sessions... and sometimes I was the ONLY one that won. At the end of that streak, I told my roommate, "I want to lose tonight." "you're gonna throw the game?" "No, no. But I want to lose tonight."

Eventually my luck turned sour. As the game grew, I had difficulty adjusting to more people being in the pot each hand. I was running break even for the last 2 months of school. Finally we organize a 15-man $30 rebuy (limit one rebuy,and only if you go out for the last Sunday before my Graduation. I won it, and that felt good, because I had been doing so poorly for 2 months.

My buddies (and strangers) would often tell me that I'm a natural at NL tourneys. Players playing with me for the first time would often pay me compliments. My buddies even talked about sponsoring my to play in a $500 tourney at Turning Stone. Didn't happen, but it was a nice ego boost.

In August I started playing online. I was amazed at how bad people were... but at the same time, I knew my skills at reading people were lost online. I lost $600 the first day. That's a lot of money to a cook - that's a paycheck. But I'm nothing if not stubborn. I bought back in, had more success. But it didn't last. After 2 months, I was down 2K. I quit playing.

Then one day I decide to play in a B&M. 3-6 at Boomtown. I do well. I go back. I go 6 times, have 5 winning sessions. I stone my face and go back to Party Poker. Start playing bigger buy in SnGs. Also, start playing limit, which I abhore (at least, I did). Had much more success at the higher buy-in SnGs, but I would run into vicious streaks. At some point I start playing one limit table 5-10, and one $50 tourney. I noticed that no matter what happened in the tourney, I would make money on the limit table - sometimes even more than a first place finish in the tourney. Then I discovered that multitabling limit was far easier than multitabling SnGs.

To cut a long story shorter, I moved up to 10-20, and now play 15-30, 4 tables at a time. I've done 8 tables, but I find I can keep a handle on 36 other players, and I need that.

I'm a break-even player at 15-30. I think I have potential, but I have holes. I've figured out some of them, and I'm working things out. I believe that I'm good, or at least capable of being good. I've just started reading books, before this, all I've read is Doyle's chapter on NL holdem in SS and Sklansky's tourney poker book - both borrowed from a friend. I've always worried that studying might kill my feel for the game (some of Sklansky's tourney theories struck me as just plain wrong), but I don't believe that anymore.

I'm still best at tourneys. I mostly just play them for "fun" now, but I think that limit offers a better return for time invested. I want to play in the WSOP, and probably will in 2006. Who knows, maybe I'll take some of this money and enter into a smaller tourney at the WSOP.

I play poker because I know that cooking will never provide for my family as my father has provided for his. But cooking makes me happy, and that is most important to me. I play because I love the game. I play because I believe that I am good.

Now you all know what a rank amatuer I am. If any of the regulars at the mid/high stakes limit forum read this, it will explain some things.

Thank you all for your support during that tourney, and your help in these forums. "I am an egg" - I know very little, but I will learn. This win was very lucky - how about that AQs vs JJ vs JJ hand?!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Next time, I get to be the rail bird.

CSC