Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: I suck at life and at making good folds...

Don't get down on yourself. Read/listen to Louise Hay.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw almost that exact hand last night in 5/10. Opponent folded to my river bet, which is why I'm now more inclined to check-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be results oriented, you shouldn't change your line because of what happened in one hand

[ QUOTE ]
If he has the straight, he's going to raise. I lose an extra bet if I call, and I wonder forever if he was bluffing if I fold. However, checking might induce a bluff and win me an extra bet. If he checks it through then his hand probably wasn't good enough to call a bet with anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a good chance he checks it through with a lot of hands that would've called a bet, the board is AKJTx. He raised then called a 3-bet when the ace fell, it looks like he at least has a pair of aces, and will definitely call on the river but may not bet since the board is so scary. I don't think there's any hands here that will fold if you bet but bet if you check, and there definitely are hands that don't include a queen that might raise the river. Bet/call is the best line on the river, without a doubt.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be results oriented, you shouldn't change your line because of what happened in one hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. I've just been caught doing what I keep telling my n00b friends not to do.

[ QUOTE ]
There's a good chance he checks it through with a lot of hands that would've called a bet, the board is AKJTx. He raised then called a 3-bet when the ace fell, it looks like he at least has a pair of aces, and will definitely call on the river but may not bet since the board is so scary. I don't think there's any hands here that will fold if you bet but bet if you check, and there definitely are hands that don't include a queen that might raise the river. Bet/call is the best line on the river, without a doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absent of reads, when would your line change to check-call (assuming the board is still AKJTx)? If there's a 3-flush on board? 4-flush? The board pairs (maybe AAKJT?) Or what if we add another straight card (like my board had last night... AKJT9)?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:46 PM

When I have a set, I hardly even look at what the river card is before I bet. On a 4 flush board vs. an aggro player checking might be the right play, but nearly no other board (other than one with a 5 card straight or flush on it) should result in you checking the river with a set.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:02 PM

Call and lose.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check-call the river. Rest is standard for me. Sucks if he had a queen.

... but he won't always. I saw almost that exact hand last night in 5/10. Opponent folded to my river bet, which is why I'm now more inclined to check-call. If he has the straight, he's going to raise. I lose an extra bet if I call, and I wonder forever if he was bluffing if I fold. However, checking might induce a bluff and win me an extra bet. If he checks it through then his hand probably wasn't good enough to call a bet with anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-14-2005, 09:01 PM

Checkcalling the river is retarded.He's calling with lots nad lots of hands he would have otherwise checked behind, and he's only raising wiht a straight.