Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Who is your hero?

Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Doyle Brunson, Zach de la Rocha, Hugh Hefner.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) Abe Lincoln.
2) The men of the 101st Airborne in WWII, who held their position in the woods of Bastogne during that brutal winter, with few supplies.
3) Anyone who kicks an angleshooter in the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice list, what about those who charged the beaches of Normandy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although storming a beach in the face of machine gun fire certainly takes courage, I think that hunkering down in a freezing foxhole day after day, without warm clothing or much food, while having to face random, terrifying artillary attacks takes much more fortitude.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:18 PM

nm
Old 12-12-2005, 07:29 PM

I bet I could guess which would be your favorite Band of Brothers episode. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Swede
Old 12-12-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Although storming a beach in the face of machine gun fire certainly takes courage, I think that hunkering down in a freezing foxhole day after day, without warm clothing or much food, while having to face random, terrifying artillary attacks takes much more fortitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not taking ANYTHING away from any of those people. But what other choice did they have?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:38 PM

dibitter
Old 12-12-2005, 07:38 PM

inchoatehand
Old 12-12-2005, 08:11 PM

daryn
Old 12-12-2005, 08:13 PM

I love Al Bundy too. As he says, every day he doesn't kill himself is a slap in the face to his enemies.

I also love Gandhi. And Bruce Lee. Ideally I'd like to be GandhiLee, or Brucegdanhi, who sometimes preemptively kicks people in the face in case they might not be peaceful.

I also like Henry Miller, and in a way that probably nobody will understand and I will catch unnecessary crap for, French author(not Canadian singer) Celine, and for some of the same reasons, Raymond Carver.

Currently, I admire Vitali Klitschko a lot, who has always been 100% in support of his brother and his brother's boxing career and just retired instead of taking 7 million bucks just to walk through a fight he said his leg was too injured to fight his best in. He could have just taken a walk and collected 7 million. Instead he doesn't sound sorry for himself particularly, kept his integrity at the cost of those millions, and is 100% behind his brother backing his career going for the same heavyweight title. Very cool family wise. Those guys have stuck together the way family should, for a long time now. It's also pretty cool that he's a very bright guy, a doctor, yet still became a world champion boxer. Not many people have that kind of versatility, to say the least and a half.

And I admire the many women I've read about who have set up local and international organizations to protest the treatment of women in foreign countries, especially Muslim ones where they are generally treated terribly and no one seems to give a damn, even us. Some of these women working there face violence and terror the way we back here face traffic jams, and really have nowhere to turn if things get rough. It's a very noble cause and they have 20 times the guts I do.

I also admire Koichi Tohei, an aikido master who from his books and other people's accounts of him seems to have had truly a hell of a good and healthy yet still humble attitude toward life.

And in a small way I even admire Conan O'Brien, who brought a personality type into public acceptance that was never there before or particularly acceptable.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:13 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

dewey tomko is pretty awesome