Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: From Bill Simmons column on ESPN.com

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Simmons jumped the shark months ago.

His entire schtick was writing about being a long-suffering fan of Boston sports teams. Now the Pats are an NFL dynasty and the Red Sox won. So everything he's based his writing on has disappeared.

He's grasping at lifesavers tossed to him in form of the hot pop culture fad. Right now, poker is one of them, so he mocks it yet clings to it because it's the only thing keeping him from going under.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a yankee fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a red sux fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwaaaaahahahaha
Old 08-11-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Simmons jumped the shark months ago.

His entire schtick was writing about being a long-suffering fan of Boston sports teams. Now the Pats are an NFL dynasty and the Red Sox won. So everything he's based his writing on has disappeared.

He's grasping at lifesavers tossed to him in form of the hot pop culture fad. Right now, poker is one of them, so he mocks it yet clings to it because it's the only thing keeping him from going under.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a yankee fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly. I'm just a fan of good, original writing.

Simmons' originality has worn off. After all, how many references to 90210, "The Godfather," and the Rocky movie series can you force into columns about sports?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like reading Simmons' articles, but his take on poker has always been unintentionally funny, to steal one of his catch-phrases.

Remember that Vegas week-long trip report he wrote up a couple years back where he got to sin city a couple days before his friends and was trying to pack in the 7-card stud? He said something about his intentional table image like (this quote isn't exact but it's close) "When I sat down everyone looked at me like I was a wet-behind-the-ears ivy league hotshot who was timid and didn't know what he was doing. And believe me, that wasn't by accident." Then he goes on to explain how 6th street "killed him" all night, blah blah blah.

Anyhow, every time he brings up poker, I get a sense of mixed amusement and pity. However, I figure it can't hurt to have a popular sports writer sending out dumb sh1t to his readership.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is spot-on.

Of course, I wouldn't want many of my early "realizations" about the game on the public record, but then, I don't write national columns that often feature topics of which I am almost totally ignorant.

I enjoy Simmons's columns, but, seriously, anybody ignorant and audacious enough to hate all over Chris Ferguson needs a serious attitude adjustment.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, have you seen Jennifer Tilly on a talk show? Not a Mensa threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought this part was pretty funny.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy Simmons's columns, but, seriously, anybody ignorant and audacious enough to hate all over Chris Ferguson needs a serious attitude adjustment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was OK with this part. I'm sick of his nickname, too.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you're at a table where everyone knows how to play -- and by the way, just about everyone knows how to play now -- it's 90 percent luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement implies that he thinks the separation between good player and bad player is knowing how to play the game

this guy could be ranting about other stuff. Like how poker isn't a sport and how sports on ESPN are about as rare as music is on MTV. I hope his show is cancelled in favor of a docu-drama about Canadian past time 'sweeping'
Old 08-11-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was OK with this part. I'm sick of his nickname, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Simmons was right...Chris Ferguson does kinda look like Waingro from Heat!