Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Yeah...so I\'m \"That Guy\"

Um...this is an embarassing 1st hand from a Party $10+1.

At first I like the flop bet. But, now that I think about it, I have a clear drawing hand and should not have been building the pot. I doubt my hand is best, but I have the open-ended straight (might be no good) and the backdoor flush draw, top pair with no kicker. I figured make a bet to establish I like my hand and keep these guys from dancing around the pot with minbets.

When I'm reraised...I just sort of turn of my brain and call along. I'm guessing I have to fold to this reraise, assume a made straight or two pair? And then I should certainly fold to the push, because now it's very clear my hand is no good...right?

(If this situation were different and I was getting good pot odds, could I call; i.e. should you go by profitable odds if losing ends your tournament?)

So yeah, pretty sure calling the reraise and the all-in are no good. But how should I have played the flop? Thanks,

Blue

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)
Hero (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t90</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t90, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t275</font>, Hero calls t185, UTG folds.

Turn: (t730) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t510 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t510 (All-In).

River: (t1750) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1750
Old 07-08-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Yeah...so I\'m \"That Guy\"

I think you should check/fold the flop because you are out of position in a six-way unraised pot and your hand sucks.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:28 PM

yeah...figured as much...just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be playing straight draws given that this one sort of worked out (MP2 has A6 spades). If I were last to act and it was checked to me, what would i do?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:37 PM

Well, if it were me, I check behind and then fold to the turn bet. Others might disagree with that as too passive, but I just don't think you need a 90-chip pot so badly that you need to bet at it in a marginal situation. If it checked around again, I'd fold two pair on the river to any substantial bet with four to a straight out there in a six-way pot.