Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 03:22 AM

Default this unnamed player from the Razz event is a wuss

[ QUOTE ]
Jen Creason ran into a little bad luck when action was down to two tables. She was issued a ten minute penalty for use of profanity at the table. She was all in with the worst hand and dropped the dreaded "F-bomb." She caught a lucky card on the river to beat her opponent.

After he lost the hand, he asked for a penalty to be called on Jen. Unfortunately for her, the ruling was held up by a floor manager. She lost most of her stack due to antes while waiting out her penalty and ended up in 15th place. After a short break, she was back to work in media row providing chip counts and updates of the Razz event.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the f-rule, while maybe a bit useful, is most certainly a lame piece of [censored] when someone lets the f-bomb slip when they realize they're behind and all in -

but anyone who upon losing decides to call the penalty, esp. when it wasn't directed at him, and ESPECIALLY if it's a guy -

that guy is a pussy.
RB
Old 07-02-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: this unnamed player from the Razz event is a wuss

The F-bomb rule is quite possibly the dumbest rule ever.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:58 AM

What a fucking pathetic rule.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. F*ck the f-rule.

I was surprised that the tourney directors would do this, since it goes directly against their and ESPN's interests - f-bombs, even when "bleeped", make for more interesting television. Personally, I think it's hilarious when someone gets the crap end of a two-outer suckout on the river and you can see their mouths and know that they're letting out a string of profanities that would make a longshoreman blush and all you hear is "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" for like three straight minutes. THAT is quality entertainment.

Besides, do they really think that most people watch these things to appreciate the wit and skill of player's maneuvers (most of which they can't understand) and to have each battle of intellects punctuated by "very nice hand, chap!"? F*ck no - they want to have a front-row seat and insider information to the impending trainwrecks of people bluffing other people off of good hands and players running into better hands when they suspect a bluff. They want to see Gus Hansen flex his bicep while Phil Laak does situps and Antonio Esfandiari does that wave thing to try to magic away the chair that Phil Hellmuth just threw at him. That's what they want to see, and that's what the players want to do, so what the f--k is the problem?

ok what was that, three times? I'll be back in thirty minutes.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:38 AM

He should be penalized for blatantly exploiting the rule to gain an unfair advantage, he called the ruling after he got bad beated, not when it occured, he wasn't concerned with the rule at all but with getting back at her.

f-rule sucks.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He should be penalized for blatantly exploiting the rule to gain an unfair advantage, he called the ruling after he got bad beated, not when it occured, he wasn't concerned with the rule at all but with getting back at her.

f-rule sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

she can't sit out if she's out of chips...
Old 07-02-2005, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. F*ck the f-rule.

I was surprised that the tourney directors would do this, since it goes directly against their and ESPN's interests - f-bombs, even when "bleeped", make for more interesting television. Personally, I think it's hilarious when someone gets the crap end of a two-outer suckout on the river and you can see their mouths and know that they're letting out a string of profanities that would make a longshoreman blush and all you hear is "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" for like three straight minutes. THAT is quality entertainment.

Besides, do they really think that most people watch these things to appreciate the wit and skill of player's maneuvers (most of which they can't understand) and to have each battle of intellects punctuated by "very nice hand, chap!"? F*ck no - they want to have a front-row seat and insider information to the impending trainwrecks of people bluffing other people off of good hands and players running into better hands when they suspect a bluff. They want to see Gus Hansen flex his bicep while Phil Laak does situps and Antonio Esfandiari does that wave thing to try to magic away the chair that Phil Hellmuth just threw at him. That's what they want to see, and that's what the players want to do, so what the f--k is the problem?

ok what was that, three times? I'll be back in thirty minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

search for "deal me the F*** in" by Thomas Keller on cardplayer.com, you'd like it
Old 07-02-2005, 07:06 AM

I found the link, I thought I would post it to save you all some time

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_maga...php?a_id=14668
Old 07-02-2005, 07:19 AM

[censored]
Old 07-02-2005, 02:51 PM

Forgetting the merits of the rule for a second, would NONE of you EVER see a chance where you'd use the rule to your financial gain given the right opportunity?

Sports managers take advantage of technicalities all the time. Frank Robinson got a pitcher ejected because of gunk on his glove. The Canadiens changed the Stanley Cup series vs. the Kings by measuring Marty McSorley's stick. Billy Martin (temporarily) won a game for his team because George Brett's bat had too much pine tar on it.

Let's say you're at the final table with a fairly weak stack. Difference in prize money between places is meaningful and blinds just increased. A shorter stack drops the F-bomb. You know that if you call the floor on this, you will be guaranteed to walk away with $10k+ or more just by folding while missing player gets blinded off. Even if you disagree with the rule, do you call it for your own financial gain?

Or what if you're heads-up on the final table of a tourney where the diff in 1st & 2nd place money is quite big. You're down to 25% the stack of the other player, who because of his use of the F-bomb earlier in the tournament faces a 30-minute penalty for dropping another one. Your opponent just beat you in a pot by slowplaying a much better hand and you're burning up and he's gloating. He turns over his shoulder and yells at one of his 20-something clubbing buddies "Hey, drinks are on me tonight as soon as I'm done busting this F***ing dork." Do you call the floor and mercilessly rake in uncontested blinds/antes during his timeout?