Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-21-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Are these snowmen good?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $25 NL table (converter keeps getting this wrong) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Reads - I remember UTG+1 being a little loose probably about 30 VPIP. His post flop aggressive is about 1. Haven't seen him doing anything way out of hand. At the same time, hes shown down less than premium hands.

UTG ($5.35)
UTG+1 ($13.61)
MP1 ($11.34)
MP2 ($4.60)
MP3 ($50.31)
CO ($4.50)
Hero ($31.85)
SB ($27.25)
BB ($30.05)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25,4 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Is preflop ok? I'm used to usually raising this in limit but I figure it's not a good idea in NL.

Flop: ($1) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.46, Hero raises to $1.25, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $0.79.

Hit my set with a heart draw on the board. Villain's bet could be some Ax or a flush draw. I pop it to almost 3 times his ackward $0.46 bet. Is this the right size here? Do you call to pop him on the turn?

Turn: ($3.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $3, UTG+1 calls $3.

I pot in here because I think I'm ahead (doubt he has AA, he could have 76 but we'll find out). His call smells like a flush draw.

River: ($9.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG+1 bets $3.11, Hero ????

The [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes and he comes alive. I know I'm probably beat by the flush. But do I call this? Am I usually good enough 1 in 5 times?

Final Pot: $15.72
Old 12-21-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Are these snowmen good?

You should pop it to $2 or $3 here. There's a big field and straight + flush draws here.

Your raise is less than pot.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:37 PM

raise PF. Dunno why you make a distinction NOT to do it in NL, as you want to maximize your PP's and protect your hands at all costs, especially when you got the button. On the flop you wanna bring it to 2 bucks. turn was fine IMO. I'd prolly call the river, but its really dependent on how i feel at the time, many times i'm folding.

His flop bet looks like a flush draw, given its weakness and the fact that he was checked to without any PF raisers. The turn check only strengthens this idea as does the small river raise.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise PF. Dunno why you make a distinction NOT to do it in NL, as you want to maximize your PP's and protect your hands at all costs, especially when you got the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

reverse implied odds?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise PF. Dunno why you make a distinction NOT to do it in NL, as you want to maximize your PP's and protect your hands at all costs, especially when you got the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

reverse implied odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

given the action, the position of Hero and his mid-pair (literally), why would reverse implied odds come into play?

maybe its my aggressive nature, but i'm raising this PF every time, no question.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:10 PM

Really? I've been less aggressive preflop in NL based on the posts I see here in the NL forum. Anyone have a good PF guide? I searched and I always see the "money is made post flop" argument.

For example, do you generally 3 bet in position with JJ and TT preflop? If so whats the raise size?

So fold the river? (note: he didn't small river raise me, he donked)

[ QUOTE ]
raise PF. Dunno why you make a distinction NOT to do it in NL, as you want to maximize your PP's and protect your hands at all costs, especially when you got the button. On the flop you wanna bring it to 2 bucks. turn was fine IMO. I'd prolly call the river, but its really dependent on how i feel at the time, many times i'm folding.

His flop bet looks like a flush draw, given its weakness and the fact that he was checked to without any PF raisers. The turn check only strengthens this idea as does the small river raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-21-2005, 09:26 PM

No, don't ever 3-bet preflop with anything less than AA/KK. In many cases, just calling the reraise with KK is appropriate.

It is good to raise preflop in this hand, because
a) you have position
b) your hand is most likely the best so far
c) you want to build the pot for when you hit a set
d) if you don't hit a set, you can likely win the pot with a continuation bet