Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-18-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Is a call terrible? AKo OOP misses flop

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Button ($239.10)
SB ($619.67)
BB ($383)
Hero ($400)
MP ($422.85)
CO ($918.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2. Hero posts a blind of $4.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $16</font>, Button calls $16.

Flop: ($42) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($42) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($42) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $35</font>, Hero ???

Villain has been raising to $70 straight many hands on top of others raises and getting them to muck. He's money and I wish everyone would play like him.

On to the hand, I didn't want to bloat this pot OOP as villain likely would have pushed me out of the pot w/ air. I think my Ace hi is good against this villain, is a call terrible?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Is a call terrible? AKo OOP misses flop

It's ok, maybe not standard but not too out of line either.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:13 PM

Its an interesting spot, is there any case for a raise here, though? I dont know if when you say htat he's money you mean hes bad or good, but if he's not good, is there any chance hes making this bet iwth a hand like 44-77? It would be a silly bet but on the other hand you seem pretty prepared to call with AK. Plus bad players are certainly capable of doing stuff like that. Can you raise and get him off those underpair hands? I dont know if I really like it but I feel like it's something to consider.

I also dont hate a call. The question is whether hes capable of betting with small pair there. I dont know, I dont love the idea of raising here but Id be interestd to see what others think.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its an interesting spot, is there any case for a raise here, though? I dont know if when you say htat he's money you mean hes bad or good, but if he's not good, is there any chance hes making this bet iwth a hand like 44-77? It would be a silly bet but on the other hand you seem pretty prepared to call with AK. Plus bad players are certainly capable of doing stuff like that. Can you raise and get him off those underpair hands? I dont know if I really like it but I feel like it's something to consider.

I also dont hate a call. The question is whether hes capable of betting with small pair there. I dont know, I dont love the idea of raising here but Id be interestd to see what others think.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no value in raising here -- he isn't going to call you with any hands you lose to. Essentially any pocket pair is 7 high or what have you.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:26 PM

Im not saying raise for value. My point is that if this player is capable of betting a pocketpair, then wouldnt it be better to raisem, since every hand youre beating still loses the pot, and sometimes hands like 77 fold. I still dont know if its a good idea but thats teh thoguth process.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Thinking about it some more this should be an easy call. Only hand that makes sense to play this way is a small pair. He might have made trips on the flop and slowplayed like a good idiot, but most likely he has a small pair that he wanted to check down but now got counterfeited.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:43 PM

Jesus christ the board paired twice. I misread the board. Im stupid. I retract everything I said and am goign to go bang my head against a wall.

Call looks good.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:30 PM

No, I'd probably call too.

edit - this is a good flop tobet.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:40 AM

easy easy call. villain prolly has a pp &lt; T
Old 12-20-2005, 12:35 AM

I would sometimes check the flop and bet 1/2 pot on the turn- trying to mimic how a weak player may play a flopped monster. I might even then pop the river if called.

Had I played it check, check (also fine I think), I call the river bet.