Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 05:32 PM

Default back to the SNGs

okay, after almost a year of playing exclusively ring games and MTTs, I'm back to playing SNGs....

In early 2004 I was playing the 50s and 100s, 3 and 4-tabling, and rang up an ok but not impressive ROI and ITM over a few thousand SNGs. I think I can do better this time.

I've decided I'm going to start at the 20s this time, with a BR of $800, and work my way up.

I'd love to hear what you experts have to say on the subject of SNG strategy...so give me ONE piece of advice - your best - and/or link me to a great thread!

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: back to the SNGs

far from expert but........

Don't bother bluffing too much, you will usually get a call
Old 10-24-2005, 05:42 PM

Get Eastbay's SNG Analyzer software application. Then look at a whole bunch of common or problematic situations and get comfortable with what your opponents' hand range does to your EV and best decision.

Also, good to have you on the forum. Feel free to not always be entirely on top, I'm sure this crowd would appreciate *any* wisdom you could possibly dispense, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 10-24-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get Eastbay's SNG Analyzer software application. Then look at a whole bunch of common or problematic situations and get comfortable with what your opponents' hand range does to your EV and best decision.

Also, good to have you on the forum. Feel free to not always be entirely on top, I'm sure this crowd would appreciate *any* wisdom you could possibly dispense, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the welcome....I'm definitely interested in Eastbay's Analyzer...can someone explain to me how best to use it as a practical tool in helping me get better at SNGs?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the welcome....I'm definitely interested in Eastbay's Analyzer...can someone explain to me how best to use it as a practical tool in helping me get better at SNGs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't know if this means you have it and just haven't used it yet or are looking to get it. This is the website:

SNGA

Eastbay does a good job of explaining things on the site and there is even more good stuff in the forums. In its current form, the analyzer is used for situations where you are open pushing allin or calling allins vs. an open push. It doesn't handle 3-way pots yet or hands where your opponent raises not allin.

It's very good for short handed situations where chip EV differs from tournament EV due to the 3 spot payout structure. You will find situations where you can push any two cards and no matter what your opponent calls with it is +EV (as calculated by the Independant Chip Model) for you. Basically, the tool is very powerful for any situation where you face an allin and think it's close or are unsure whether you should be pushing allin. Since this is probably the most predominant part of any STTers play, studying with it can be very valuable.

Eastbay is the dude behind it and everything and is generally very happy to answer questions.

Yugoslav
Old 10-24-2005, 06:19 PM

For as much STT forum bashing as there was after citanulgate, there seem to be a lot of serious players trying out STT's. Good luck.

advice for the 22's: Everybody's stupid except for me.
thread: Read the shadow's post. It's linked from the FAQ.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For as much STT forum bashing as there was after citanulgate, there seem to be a lot of serious players trying out STT's. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks....what was "citanulgate"????
Old 10-24-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks....what was "citanulgate"????

[/ QUOTE ]

semifinals
finals
Old 10-24-2005, 06:42 PM

Don't bust yourself early.

Your edge is bigger just by surviving to level 4 than it is winning an extra pot. Of course that doesn't mean you can't limp with suited connectors/small pps in good position early, but it means if you have J2 in the BB in level 1 and the flop comes J high rainbow, just check-fold unless you have a strong read.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:49 PM

This is the absolute best advice. Early, no one cares so you can't make any moves, especially in a $20 sng. Later, players have "time" invested so it's a lot easier to try stuff.