Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 03:33 PM

Default New to stud, help on this one

I have rolled up 3's and another player has 3 diamonds showing on 5th.

We are heads up due to 4th being capped by me.

He catches another diamond on 5th. His door is an A, so I am not sure if he has the flush or split A's (possibly rolled, no other people had one showing on previous streets).

HU we capped 5th and 6th.

Obviously jam if I boat on the river, but what if I brick?

FWIW, this was 5c/10c on pacific, although this guy did seem like he knew what he was doing as far as I could tell.

Apologies if its boring or routine, I just started playing stud online about a week ago.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: New to stud, help on this one

[ QUOTE ]
HU we capped 5th and 6th.

Obviously jam if I boat on the river, but what if I brick?

this guy did seem like he knew what he was doing as far as I could tell

[/ QUOTE ]

Check call if you dont fill up, i think you over played your hand here on 6th against a solid opponent.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:49 PM

Welcome to the forum.

For me, it really depends on how live his suit is. If three or more diamonds (apart from “his” diamond) were dead on 3rd, I would probably be willing to cap it. (Or if some diamonds popped up on 4th. The reason is that it is less likely (mathematically; if this guy really knows what he’s doing, he wouldn’t be playing a dead 3-flush, but I don’t think this is a good approach in a .05/.10 game) that he has the flush. If only two diamonds were dead on 3rd, it’s probably best to slow down to so much aggression.
So, assuming diamonds were live, you probably shouldn’t have capped on 5th, and only called on 6th (and the river). At least that’s the way I play it. This assumes your opponent is reasonable though. If you have seen him play aces or aces up this way in the past, you can put in a few more bets.
Playing trips aggressively is good, but they do get beaten once in a while.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:16 PM

you will have a hard time advancing your skills at 5c/10c at pacific. The see 4th is usually high 80% or high 90% and usually 4 players will show down. If you're even interested in reading or posting on stud you should be able to crush the 1/2 and 2/4 at that site. The players at pacific generally approach an intermediate level of play at the 5/10, but it's still ususally the 1/2ers taking their shots with their entire $135 bankroll. Me no exagerate.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 PM

Uhm…maybe he doesn’t have the roll to play 1/2? I played .02/.04 on Paradise for a few months till I had the roll to play .5/1.0.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:38 PM

Trips are nice, but the only hand your opponent is capping with that you beat is two pair or unimproved aces. These are both highly unlikely.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:45 PM

When he three bets (or raises) on fifth, he has told you he has a flush or higher trips. It's impossible to have a full house in stud before the river without a pair showing. So if you did not have a pair on the board, he could know that his flush was the boss hand. Now, you have plenty of pot odds to call bets on fifth and sixth (and even the river in hopes of amisplayed aces up) without filling up. But once a sane opponent has shown a willingness to keep raising, you have to slow down -- you an underdog to fill, so getting more money in at even odds is -EV for you.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 PM

Hi. Pacific Poker is where I play stud (at between .50/1 and 2/4) and there are virtually no solid players on this site. A tight player is one the only plays 50% of his hands. Even so, you need to be careful with hands like these. Bad players do catch good cards ocassionally. Upon being raised on fifth, check call all the way down if he doesn't seem to be completely clueless. That being said, virtually all the players here are idiots, so if this player seems to be the same, I would cap 5th and wouldn't slow down until being raised on 6th. Also, try to move up to .50/1 as fast as you can. Small antes plus all players seeing fourth makes for huge profits. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely try to move up soon, just getting my feet wet for now.

As for the hand, I filled on the river and was called a fish. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Villain showed his flush.

I replayed the hand in the replayer and there were 2 diamonds out besides his, another player caught one on 4th and I had the 3d in the hole.

I will keep posting hands and trying to improve.
Thanks!!

Steve
Old 09-14-2005, 04:50 AM

Nothing stings less than being called a fish by a bunch of 5c/10c players. They'll call you a fish if you out draw a flush with rolled trips!