Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Top Set

When I raise with AA or KK and hit a set I shut down and try to slowplay, figuring no one else can have much and call me.

This is costing me money alot. Letting people get wierdo draws. Should I just keep betting strong and hope something has a flush draw or a lower set.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Top Set

[ QUOTE ]
When I raise with AA or KK and hit a set I shut down and try to slowplay, figuring no one else can have much and call me.

This is costing me money alot. Letting people get wierdo draws. Should I just keep betting strong and hope something has a flush draw or a lower set.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you bet your unimproved AQ and call a check raise all in with it, but check top set in a raised pot?

UGH! Just bet 3/4 pot like you always do.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:19 PM

What kind of table image do you have? Have people seen you continuation bet a lot? Have they seen you get played back at and have to fold when you have air etc?

If yes and you're playing against people who having some calling tendencies or will make moves on you with air then leading out is a good play imo.

If your image is tight, you probably just want to slowplay and get agrro people behind you to bet, then just CR em if there's any draws. You'll give away the strength of your hand but you'll get more than just leading out and having everyone fold.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:32 PM

you have to bet
Old 09-10-2005, 01:10 PM

Somebody said once on these forums and I never forgot it

It probably wouldnt be a mistake to fastplay every monster you flopped.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:17 PM

I once raised with pocket kings 4x the blind to open the pot. flop came KK4, and i bet half the pot and got called. On the turn i bet 1/2 my stack (not all that much) and got called. All in on the river board was KK426 and got called by pocket sevens. People often think you are bluffing, you need to bet, what if they have the case card with your top set, checking is a foolish play unless maybe you flopped a full house.