Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 04:57 AM

Default strange raising rule?

A friend of mine invited me to a home game NLHE tournament recently and as the blinds started to go up, I noticed some strange "raising" going on.

After the flop, one player would bet, say, 1000, and if the BB was 400, the raiser would say raise, then raise to 1400. I mentioned it but my buddy just kind of gave me a shrug, let 'em do what they want kind of thing. Is this a big deal or should I exploit it to my benefit?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Re: strange raising rule?

You'll run into something like this at a lot of non-serious home games. This can be good for you when it lets you make a small raise with a big hand, knowing some guy is going to make one of those less-than-minimum bets and open the betting right up for you again. These bets can be used for collusion, but if that isn't going on, there is no reason to disturb the fish, just go with it.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Re: strange raising rule?

I played at a game where they did the same thing.Raised when up and down as long as they bet at least the BB. To make it worse they kept splashing the pot. I pointed out that you could not see what was bet if the chips were mingled. The answer was that is what they do on TV. Whatever.