Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Stars $27 Did i donk this up?

[ QUOTE ]
You can start to worry about these kinds of things in buyins over $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, while you've undoubtedly played more of these than I have, isn't it a fundamentally bad idea to "not worry" about these things? Take into account the buy-in, sure, but there's more than enough people here, and at other forums, playing the $27s for me to seriously consider the possibility that hero's beat here.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:47 AM

I don't think you donked up anything aside from the overbet but I still think it's a fold. A pot sized bet would have been sufficient to throw off any reasonable player with a flush draw and only one card to come.

10-6 is possible (SB). JT probably would have bet the flop. A straight/flush draw combination would be the best scenario from the cold caller but I think at least the SB has you beat.

Maybe a split but I don't think it's worth it. You can find a better spot.

I just don't think anyone in their right mind w/a hand you beat pushes this board. I know it's only a $27 but A-9? What hand checks the flop then pushed this turn? 10-6 or 6x. Maybe 6x hearts as a goofy SB hand? Ugh, this situation sucks.

You'll be short but I still say fold.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:49 AM

i ended up pushing, and the other guy called the push. the guy who check raised the turn had 6h2h so he had the 1 card straight, plus he was drawing to the flush. the other guy caught a set of 7's on the turn. the river bricked the two of us chopped. i dodged a hell of a lot of bullets on that river. that'll learn me to be more careful out of the BB.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm thinking too much in these then, but I really don't think those hands are checking that flop. I suppose that leaves 77 and 87 catching on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Maybe he's a donk who whiffed on a flop check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

And he's donkish enough to push when the 3-straight to a really normal holding hits, and there's a bettor? And a caller? And the caller is donkish enough to just call without the nuts and two flush draws out. (I'm not really that worried about the caller, since there are two flushes out, but still).

I admit that it's possible that Hero is ahead here, but we're relying on two other players being really stupid, both of whom have accumulated enough chips in this game (and that's the only other info we have from OP) to look like they might actually have a clue. Maybe if OP has some other read on these two to justify calling here, I'd feel better about it.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i ended up pushing, and the other guy called the push. the guy who check raised the turn had 6h2h so he had the 1 card straight, plus he was drawing to the flush. the other guy caught a set of 7's on the turn. the river bricked the two of us chopped. i dodged a hell of a lot of bullets on that river. that'll learn me to be more careful out of the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

See? You played it right. Once the 600 is in the middle, you're getting the right price to call even knowing all those bullets are out there.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See? You played it right. Once the 600 is in the middle, you're getting the right price to call even knowing all those bullets are out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

All hero's money went in behind. Granted, if the villains flip up their cards after hero has bet, he has to call.

If we assume the worst hand either villain can have is a set, something with a 6, or JT, he's not getting the right price to call. Throw in the top pair and two-pair hands and it's a call, but all hero's money is still going in behind.

Am I really too weak-tight by checking this on the turn and giving it up to the inevitable bet and push?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If we assume the worst hand either villain can have is a set, something with a 6, or JT, he's not getting the right price to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

i highly doubt either of these guys has JT very often here. sb doesn't have it, because if he did he would have bet outright. there's no guarantee someone will bet it for him with that board, and he doesn't want to give a free flush card. when i bet, the caller doesn't have JT, because he would want to charge flush draws more and raise. the checkraise by sb seems to me pushing a flush draw. as it was, sb took a risk by checkraising, he should have bet outright IMO. but the way the turn played out, JT is unlikely from either villain.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If we assume the worst hand either villain can have is a set, something with a 6, or JT, he's not getting the right price to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

i highly doubt either of these guys has JT very often here. sb doesn't have it, because if he did he would have bet outright. there's no guarantee someone will bet it for him with that board, and he doesn't want to give a free flush card. when i bet, the caller doesn't have JT, because he would want to charge flush draws more and raise. the checkraise by sb seems to me pushing a flush draw. as it was, sb took a risk by checkraising, he should have bet outright IMO. but the way the turn played out, JT is unlikely from either villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree about SB having JT until he actually check-raises, though even that's far from a sure sign. It would worry me quite a bit that he'd push there when two other people have stayed in. I agree that the guy in the middle shouldn't have JT, but then again if we're considering the possibility that they're donkish enough to play top pair/two pair/a set like this, we probably have to consider the possibility that they're donkish enough to play JT this way, too.

FWIW, I'm not advocating folding to the all-in, just closing your eyes when you call. I'm pretty sure I'm not bothering betting the turn, though, and that I'm not calling the all-in when UTG bets and SB pushes. Too many bad experiences getting married to BB hands that I'd never see the flop with otherwise, I guess.