Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Deep $100 max hand

Villan and hero both have $300 to start, blinds are $.5/1. Villan is tricky, putting large overbets and overraises. He has not been taken up on many offers. He has also made some very questionable all in calls preflop (30x bb with JTs)

Villan is UTG, Hero is Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Preflop: Villan raises to $5, MP1 calls, Hero calls (?).

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checked around (?)

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked around (?)

River ($16): T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked to hero, who bets $12. Villan raises to $70. Hero...?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Deep $100 max hand

all in
Old 10-24-2005, 01:12 PM

Will your opponent pay out with a non-straight-flush here?

I'm not sure that he will!

You have the A and K of hearts, and the Q,T,9 are on the board.

Unless he's a very bad player (which it doesn't sound like he is), he's not going to call your 3-bet with a set, no matter the size of the bet. He's not going to call with a very low flush (i.e., 8 high or worse).

Your decision here therefore comes down to how likely it is that he has a J high flush accompanied by a card other than 8.

As it is, I don't think that's very likely. Anything aside from J7 is unplayable... so you're basically looking at J8 or J7 of hearts that could potentially call your raise, right?

Since he'll always call with J8 and will not always call with J7, this is a losing proposition and you should call the $90. EDIT: $70.

-dB
Old 10-24-2005, 01:15 PM

a straight could call a raise as well, though maybe not for all his chips.

I DEFINITELY raise, its a matter of how much though. Its very dependent on the opponent and how I think he'll react this particular hand...you're pretty much justified in raising anything.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your decision here therefore comes down to how likely it is that he has a J high flush accompanied by a card other than 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that he's totally bluffing because the whole hand checked around and hero is last to act on the river and takes a stab at it. Personally I think villain has air and it doesn't matter what you do. I would put in maybe $20 over a minireraise. I'm not one to like small raises but with stacks this deep it seems the best way to get the money.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:17 PM

I'm assuming that Villain doesn't hold a lower flush, since there are no credible flush cards that I can put him on - if he were holding J-10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for example, he certainly would have bet before the river given his massive draw. I think he's either repping the flush or straight (in which case you're not getting another dime out of him), or has the straight himself and doesn't see the flush out there, so I push.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I think villain has air it doesn't matter what you do. I would put in maybe $20 over a minireraise. I'm not one to like small raises but with stacks this deep it seems the best way to get the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's bluffing, what's the point of raising?

He's obviously not calling you with a "bluff" hand.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or has the straight himself and doesn't see the flush out there, so I push.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think he's going to look at the board before he calls a push on the river?

I think Hero has the deck crippled against all but the hand that beats him.

If OP said the villain was a bad player, this would be a different story -- but he said villain was tricky.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he's bluffing, what's the point of raising?

He's obviously not calling you with a "bluff" hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear. If he's bluffing, whats the point in NOT raising. If he calls your raise, you make more money. If he folds, you don't have to show your hand, and make the SAME money as if you call.

Raising here is a virtual "can't lose" move...you have to raise. Cold-calling is useless here.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a straight could call a raise as well, though maybe not for all his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

What can he possibly put you on that loses to a straight?

There is no action on this hand until the flush hits on the river. On this river, Hero bets in position and Villain checkraises for a pretty huge overbet.

OP says that no one's been looking this guy up with his overbets. Hero decides to raise.

If this doesn't look like a big flush, I don't know what does.