Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 3 - Two vs. Fifteen
Platoon (2) 145 93.55%
The Punisher (15) 10 6.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: your vote on 89s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sitting UTG I think "would you fold KQ s?" is a more interesting q. And I think I'd still fold.

Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, IF it were a 55 SNG, and I had a 89s UTG, I would rather play 89s for a RAISE than come in in any fashion with KQs. The only way I play these kinds of hands from EP is for a raise and only if I feel I might get paid off, and only if I feel I won't be dominated (actually domination is a minor concern because I won't be playing the hand out with 1 pr.).

In any regard, in this context I would value 89s much more than KQ...which by the way I toss from EP in early levels about 95% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like raising 89s here, in a cash game with deep stacks i dont mind it, but here the blinds are worthless, im looking for multiway action, and id like to get in cheaply, plus im probly never going to see half these guys again in an hour so my image dosent really concern me
Old 10-18-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sitting UTG I think "would you fold KQ s?" is a more interesting q. And I think I'd still fold.

Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, IF it were a 55 SNG, and I had a 89s UTG, I would rather play 89s for a RAISE than come in in any fashion with KQs. The only way I play these kinds of hands from EP is for a raise and only if I feel I might get paid off, and only if I feel I won't be dominated (actually domination is a minor concern because I won't be playing the hand out with 1 pr.).

In any regard, in this context I would value 89s much more than KQ...which by the way I toss from EP in early levels about 95% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like raising 89s here, in a cash game with deep stacks i dont mind it, but here the blinds are worthless, im looking for multiway action, and id like to get in cheaply, plus im probly never going to see half these guys again in an hour so my image dosent really concern me

[/ QUOTE ]

You misread my post...I dont like it either. but, If I WERE to play it at all from UTG, I would raise it...but I wouldnt play it UTG so I dont raise it (maybe once in a blue moon). And if I were to play it, I would also rather have 89s than KQs.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Probably right. I don't like very many hands UTG in early rounds.

Doc
Old 10-18-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the argument, but passing on KQs even with this position and this early on is just too tight for me. I'd fold 98s w/o thinking about it, and I'd very likely fold QJs, but KQs I'd be raising here. You're right, Lori, KQs is the more interesting question to me. Who else folds KQs in this spot?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the argument, but passing on KQs even with this position and this early on is just too tight for me. I'd fold 98s w/o thinking about it, and I'd very likely fold QJs, but KQs I'd be raising here. You're right, Lori, KQs is the more interesting question to me. Who else folds KQs in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you play KQs early, you certainly shouldn't be raising it. I don't play it, but if I did, I would limp.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing this hand for its value of cards, meaning, "Q high flop" or "K high flop" is trouble early on. So really, its value comes from the possibility of hitting 2 pr or better. If you limp and are raised 4 BBs, do you call? What if the flop comes 49Q rainbow? Do you lead? What if you check and villain raises? What if you lead and get raised 3 x your bet, do you call?

This hand will net you very little if not negative over the long haul...toss it at level I.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:08 PM

I would much rather raise 8,9s from UTG at a full table than K,Qs.

- edited for grammar
Old 10-18-2005, 01:28 PM

This is a pretty clear fold, even in a cash game with 100bb stacks. Suited connectors make most of their money with semibluffing in position.