Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Sox Bullpen Questions

I don't agree it would be silly. The Braves did it with Smoltz with great success when they were in dire need of a closer.

it was in reaction to a injury to smoltz the previous season and iirc was planned FAR in advance of it happening (at least before spring training).

Long relievers do not make or break a club, closers do.

One pitches more innings than the other, so this isnt correct. the closer position is more galmerous, but the guy who pitches more quality innings is more important.

when/if heatly schilling is a stud, a top tier starter. why mess with that?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
foulke is a just a mystery

[/ QUOTE ]

As a White Sox fan I know of no one who couldn't wait for us to get rid of this guy. He had a couple good seasons for us and then fell of a cliff. He had a resurgance after leaving us but seems to have reaqainted himself with that cliff again. I don't think he will ever have the consistency people want out of a closer.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:00 PM

Foulke was never a flamethrower, but his velocity is way down. I don't think he touched 90 once last night

i dont think he touched 90 once last year! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

he needs to hit 88-89 to be effective. most of this year he has been 85-87.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree it would be silly. The Braves did it with Smoltz with great success when they were in dire need of a closer.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then they realized that it was idiotic, made him a starter again, and he's worth a lot more.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a White Sox fan I know of no one who couldn't wait for us to get rid of this guy. He had a couple good seasons for us and then fell of a cliff. He had a resurgance after leaving us but seems to have reaqainted himself with that cliff again. I don't think he will ever have the consistency people want out of a closer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to scream this at you, because you probably wouldn't understand it otherwise.

KEITH FOULKE HAD TWO SEASONS WITH AN ERA ABOVE 3 AS A WHITE SOCK: 1997 AND 1998. HE WAS GOOD UNTIL THE VERY END, YOUR MORON OF A GM TRADED HIM FOR BILLY [censored] KOCH.

Thank you.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to scream this at you, because you probably wouldn't understand it otherwise.

KEITH FOULKE HAD TWO SEASONS WITH AN ERA ABOVE 3 AS A WHITE SOCK: 1997 AND 1998. HE WAS GOOD UNTIL THE VERY END, YOUR MORON OF A GM TRADED HIM FOR BILLY [censored] KOCH.

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't he lose his closing job in chicago and then post a 2 era for the rest of the year? friggin morans [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 01:29 PM

I don't like you? You seem to be a real unlikeable guy.

But every White Sox fan I know of couldn't wait to be rid of this guy. His last year was peppered with blown saves and bad outings. And yeah Koch was obviously not the answer. That moron GM seems to have built a fairly impressive team this year (so far) with some outside the box kind of thinking. Every GM makes some good and bad deals but Williams I think is one of the best. He isn't afraid to pull the trigger and he is creative. He has made two awful deals (Koch and Ritchie) but a whole bunch of great ones.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But every White Sox fan I know of couldn't wait to be rid of this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people are idiots.

[ QUOTE ]
His last year was peppered with blown saves and bad outings.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a 2.90 ERA. This is what happens when you freak out over a reliever's bad month or whatever. It happens, they only pitch 15 or so innings.

[ QUOTE ]
That moron GM seems to have built a fairly impressive team this year (so far)

[/ QUOTE ]

...through no real fault of his own...

[ QUOTE ]
Every GM makes some good and bad deals but Williams I think is one of the best. He isn't afraid to pull the trigger and he is creative. He has made two awful deals (Koch and Ritchie) but a whole bunch of great ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot Podsednik.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't he lose his closing job in chicago and then post a 2 era for the rest of the year? friggin morans [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/pl...&year=2002

2 blown saves. whoopdie damn doo

last 2 months, 1 run in 26 innings
Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But every White Sox fan I know of couldn't wait to be rid of this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people are idiots.

[ QUOTE ]
His last year was peppered with blown saves and bad outings.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a 2.90 ERA. This is what happens when you freak out over a reliever's bad month or whatever. It happens, they only pitch 15 or so innings.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo