Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Throwing money away by not moving up.

I see folks here all the time, who sit on their ass playing 2/4 or 3/6, excessive amounts. I just find it retarded to be honest.

I've played something like 100k hands in total. I see all these "experts" on these boards telling people to "come back in 30k hands" when they're posting their 20k results, come on.

If you're not moving up after 30-40k hands, imho there's something wrong with you. You are missing out on potentially making A LOT more than what you're making now.

I had 3k as a result of playing for 4 months, started from 100 dollars. What did I do? Try and try to get up to 5/10 from 3/6. I failed 4 times, I dumped 2k down the drain as a result. Then I finally got my game going and won those 2k back AND another 5, landing me at 10k playing 5/10 for 2 or so.

Now at 10k, I once again try and move to 15/30, this time it came easier and I've once again, doubled my bankroll to 20k in a matter of a month (I've been running extremely well).

SO morale of this post is: stop listening to bullshit people here give about playing 50k hands before moving up. If your BANKROLL allows, TRY IT! Just go and move up.

With 3k, I moved to 5/10, if I dropped to 2500$, I went back to grind it out. I did it 4 times but as I said, I doubled my whole bankroll the month I finally succeeded.

I am sick of 3/6 8 tabling posts. You people are idiots, you're first of all not learning anything by sitting on your ass, AND you're actually getting worse, since you totally forget how to make individual reads, since you're too busy clicking all over like a robot.

- Alex [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Throwing money away by not moving up.

Come back in 30k hands.

Freakin
Old 04-30-2005, 04:39 PM

To each his own.
Not everyone is talented, but with patience & study & discipline, even the mediocre can make a decent living 4-tabling 2/4 & 3/6.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I've been running extremely well).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-30-2005, 04:41 PM

You obviously have no idea what you are typing.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:49 PM

You can move up with your bankroll, that's correct. But if you are relatively new to the game you should probably have 500 times the big blind before you play that limit. This avoids going bust, as you have a lot of bets to work with. I do not agree that sitting low limits is a waste of time though. I know several people who feast on them, because the players are so weak(consistently making 300-400 dollars in a 5 hour session) I dont think that sounds too bad of a living for 3-6.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:54 PM

Im all for taking shots at higher limits and stuff, but dont fault people who play lots of lower limit holdem for their own reasons. Your risk of ruin is much higher than someone grinding it out at a lower limit (assuming the lower limit person is properly rolled)... And if constant money is something you need then you should be able to understand why taking a shot at a higher limit with better players with a short roll is not something desirable.

Im a college kid. The money is important, but I dont need it. I'm in the process of taking a stab at the 1k sngs on party, and I can assure you Im not properly rolled. But I set aside a lump of cash and decided to give it a run. And if it falls apart, I can comfortable return to my 5-10 NL or whatever game.

-Jason
Old 04-30-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know several people who feast on them, because the players are so weak(consistently making 300-400 dollars in a 5 hour session)

[/ QUOTE ]
No one does this.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:01 PM

Good post, Alex. You clearly have a lot to contribute here and I hope you stick around.

-Michael
Old 04-30-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know several people who feast on them, because the players are so weak(consistently making 300-400 dollars in a 5 hour session) I dont think that sounds too bad of a living for 3-6.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does conistantly making 1-2g's sound instead?