Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Horrible play or nice play back at the stealer

3rd hour into a PP tourney... Since I have been at this table, the person OTB has stolen my blinds 2 out of 2 times when the hand comes up.

Once again, while he is on the button he raises to 3.5BB (same as last 2 times). He is the big stack at the table (15k or so), I have 8k or so... blinds at 200/400.

He raises to 1400 on the button. I am delt the 9c10c suited connector.

What is your move?

I decided to raise to 4000, showing him that I was commited to the hand and he should back down.

He reraised all in and of course, getting 3 to 1 on my call, I made it....

He showed AJo....

Should I have continued to let him steal is my question?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Horrible play or nice play back at the stealer

PS: I was convinced I would be behind, but thought my cards were live. Also the last 2 days I have played in this 34k garenteed, I have finished in the 60-100 range and another 50 bucks doesnt do it for me, so folding myself into the money is not an issue.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:39 AM

If you are going to raise to 4k, I would just push.

I approve of the playing back at him. Too bad he had hand.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:06 AM

I think if you are gonna get pot committed anyways, just push. This atleast has a better chance to knock out hands like AJo while still sending the message not to steal your blinds.

-Matt
Old 07-20-2005, 01:22 AM

Nothing wrong with taking a stand with a suited connector if you think he's stealing. And I agree with the others that if you're going to make it 4000 (half your stack) you should just push.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 AM

What about just calling then either pushing at the flop or check folding? Opinions please.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:45 AM

Youre out of position and chances are pretty small that you'd catch a good flop. In the vast majority of flops you would either have to check/fold which makes you look even weaker, or a huge bluff which could ruin your tourney right then and there. If you did happen to catch a great flop with your T9, would you get paid off for it?

-Matt
Old 07-20-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about just calling then either pushing at the flop or check folding? Opinions please.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have odds to play this type of hand like you normally do earlier in a tournament. By not raising you're given him a free opportunity to see a flop with perhaps a steal type of hand which connects just as often as broadway cards. You have enough folding equity that he should fold marginal hands making a stop-and-go unnecessary. You're making a statement not to raise your blinds. Calling (even if you push the flop) doesn't quite send the same message as pushing pre-flop.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:10 AM

Your right, I made it incorrect to do the stop and go.

My thinking was that he misses over 1/2 the time, so he has two chances to fold and I know Im going to war.

The reraise SCREAMED high pair (if not, how would you play AA in the same situation, you wouldnt push 6500 into a 2000 pot).

Even if he didnt push, after the flop there would be 8k in the pot, and my 4k push would give him 3:1 which he would probably call with a missed draw.

As it came out, it didnt matter, flop was 9 high, I would have pushed anyway and if he called then I was out when the jack came on the river!!!

Thanks
-VI

PS: With the same setup, how would people play AA. My goal is how to take advantage of the GOOD players who think, but I doubt the stealer was going away with AJ no matter what.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:48 AM

When I play back at him, I'm definitely either immediately pushing or calling and pushing the flop, almost regardless of whats on the board. I'd probably (maybe - depends who I'm against) fold AJ to an all in that risks more than 1/2 of my stack, because I know that I can easily accumulate the lost chips (from folding) by either bullying (depends who is in blinds) or pretending to bully with a monster, knowing that a lot of players will pop a raise back at me thinking I'll fold my garbage hand again because I'm bullying, and I'll end up with all their chips. I would see it as not worth the risk if i'm already big stacked. It sucks to go from big stack to medium because you have to take a few risks to get there, which is always risky lol. And I think calling shows more strength and I'd fold on the flop to a push for that much unless I hit at least top pair or had a read. But calling and bluffing the flop gives the big stack a chance to hit top pair, which he isn't going to fold, so this is probably a bit more risky.