Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Game theory for NLH

Need suggestions for game theory books, articles, resources for NLH - thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Game theory for NLH

Try using the search function. I think this topic may have been covered once or twice before.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 AM

Just wait. Sklansky will have is book out in no time at all. I think he said it would be out by the end of the year.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:25 AM

Bill Chen and Jerrod Ankenman's book is expected out within the next couple of months. I have very high expectations for it. For a preview, see some of Jerrod Ankenman's 2+2 posts.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:12 PM

as I understand it, game theory is most effectively used when you are playing against opponents who can read you very well. Game theory can offset this by randomizing your play --- you can't out-think randomness.

until you start playing against excellent people-readers, game theory may not be of much use... admittedly, I am no expert on game theory... but not that many poker players claim to be...
Old 08-12-2005, 12:54 PM

The chapter on NLH in Super System by Doyle Brunson. Doyle basically discusses Game Theory in NLH in that chapter. He has no formal education, but he is probably the leading authority on that subject.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The chapter on NLH in Super System by Doyle Brunson. Doyle basically discusses Game Theory in NLH in that chapter. He has no formal education, but he is probably the leading authority on that subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Chris Ferguson was the bigger CS, game theory, math nerd guy? And I think you mean Doyle has no formal education in game theory--I think he has a master's.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as I understand it, game theory is most effectively used when you are playing against opponents who can read you very well. Game theory can offset this by randomizing your play --- you can't out-think randomness.

until you start playing against excellent people-readers, game theory may not be of much use... admittedly, I am no expert on game theory... but not that many poker players claim to be...

[/ QUOTE ]

There are different levels, though, don't you find?

I think of the practice of varying opening raises between 3BB & 5BB as a pretty basic use of game theory. As suggested by Harrington, you might raise your AA, KK hands 3BB 80% of the time, and 4BB or 5BB 10% each, whereas with JJ-99, the ratio might be 40/60. What's important is that the size of the raise is not too reliable a predictor of the quality of your hand.

You don't have to be playing at a very high level or with the same players all the time for that kind of thing to have utility.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 PM

i'm pretty sure that Chris Ferguson is one the best in poker at employing game theory. his chapter in Aces & Kings discusses it alot.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:37 AM

doesnt always raising the same amount with every hand have the same affect?