Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Why Does Stars Turn Off The Chat During A Sat. ??

Ever notice that once you get somewhat deep in a satellite on Stars, they turn off the ability to chat? What is the reasoning behind this? I can't figure it out.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Why Does Stars Turn Off The Chat During A Sat. ??

To impede collusion.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To impede collusion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2005, 04:21 AM

To clarify on the replies as to how it impedes collusion.

Example: 2 tables left with 18 players 16 seats, 2 shortstacks are on table 1. Now the guys on table 2 are probably going to play soft and wait for the shorties to get eliminated but if you talk about it then you cross the line from strategy to cheating.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Another sat. question (big stack game near bubble)

I've noticed that in sats that pay alot of people (i.e. the sats to the 500k on stars), some people play uber-aggressive when they have a big stack, which is CERTAIN to make the cut, even if they seat out.

Do you do that? Is there any point in doing that? For example, you got 40k+ with 110 people. 98 are getting paid. There's no chance in the world that you won't get the ticket by simply folding another orbit. Why are you raising? At best, the tourny will end 2 minutes earlier. At worst, you might somehow find yourself in a tougher spot than you wanted.

To me it looks like just some sort of childish power display. Yesterday I saw a big stack raising to 24k from LP with the blinds 6k-12k and 110 left, big blind had about 21k and called with KK, only to lose to a Q10 made straight.

To be honest, I felt bad for the guy. Not because he lost the hand, that happens, just because I couldn't find a single reason for the big stack to put him all in.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To impede collusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, good. The first time it happened I thought it was because I was swearing too much.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Another sat. question (big stack game near bubble)

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed that in sats that pay alot of people (i.e. the sats to the 500k on stars), some people play uber-aggressive when they have a big stack, which is CERTAIN to make the cut, even if they seat out.

Do you do that? Is there any point in doing that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it sometimes-- not to an insane degree, but enough to pick up chips to force a little action from other people, so we can get this thing the [bleep] over with.

It is probably not smart.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Yea last night I was in a $3R satellite to the $215 Sunday, which is what prompted me to create this thread.

Anyway, I noticed myself doing the things described in your post. 17 won the seat, and with 20 left I was like 6th in chips. I thought to myself "I could probably just go to bed now" 'cause there were a few short stacks; but instead I kept playing.

On the bubble, a guy with an identical stack to me made it 3x in EP. I re-raised him all in from the BB with KQ suited. I only did this because I knew he would fold. I think he might have even folded aces in this spot. Still though, there was no point to me making this play, and when it was over, I was like "what the hell is my problem?".

Maybe I get my kicks off of being needlessly aggressive.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:17 PM

That is an abysmal play. Fine against someone short who would still allow you to get your seat if you lose.

Putting a safe stack entirely at risk is so pointless and stupid.