Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Passing up some +EV plays is correct

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's no wonder some newbies are afraid to post.

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of my best learning experiences early on came from making brash and stupid posts and getting bitchslapped around by the regulars. I think you learn more when you're not afraid to look silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Than I guess this is mine. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

B.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Nah, yours will be when you defiantly make a case for raising 56o in EP then proceed to defend your case for min-betting into 3 villains, then min-reraising after a raise behind... having paired your 5 on the two-tone flop.

I have a post like this where I decided that somehow I was representing a flush draw, so that if the turn put a three-flush on the board, I could then take down the pot with a big bet.

Or something like that.

It's also good to make a post like "YOU SUCKERS PLAY TOO TIGHT!"
Old 08-12-2005, 02:43 PM

My post was not meant to change the way we think about SNGs.

It was simply to point out to beginners some new ideas they may not have thought about.

Sorry, but we all wern't here to see EVERY post on the board.

P.S. The search feature licks. Seriously.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My post was not meant to change the way we think about SNGs.

It was simply to point out to beginners some new ideas they may not have thought about.

Sorry, but we all wern't here to see EVERY post on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but I think you can simply make sure people realize it's for beginners, by the title or something. Also, if your intention is to make posts for beginners, it's a bit problematic since it looks like you're simply not aware of the use of $EV as opposed to CEV, that is often the common way to speak about such situations here, that's why your title is confused in a way.

Anyway, The idea you present here is so basic and fundamental to understanding tournament poker, especially SNGs, that you can't be really surprised by the replies.

Another thing is that the search feature is actually a great way to learn, if you use it systematically. Of course there are cases it won't help you much, especially if you don't know what you're looking for.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The search feature is THE [censored]. Type +"passing up" +EV in the search, OTT, 1 year, and you'll find out everything you need to know that this post is redundant. I tried putting a link up but the UBB code isn't working for some reason, so you'll have to try it yourself and (hopefully) find out the awesomeness of the search feature for people looking out to not making asses out of themselves.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The search feature is THE [censored]. Type +"passing up" +EV in the search, OTT, 1 year, and you'll find out everything you need to know that this post is redundant. I tried putting a link up but the UBB code isn't working for some reason, so you'll have to try it yourself and (hopefully) find out the awesomeness of the search feature for people looking out to not making asses out of themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does anyone post?

Why don't we all just search so we don't have to worry about what others think of our posts?

Pffffft. Get a life. I'll make an ass of myself all I want.

In the history of this forum, what HASNT been posted? I am not just talking about this thread. I see these replys all the time from the regulars here that I don't think want to let anyone else take part in discussions. There is a group of 10-20 people who post all the time, and discourage posts or discussions that anyone else starts. Respect possibly? I dont know what it is but some of you feel superior to beginners. Dont get me wrong, I like alot fo you, but some of you just drive me insane.

I even see the very moderator of this board discourage discussions between beginners and they are told off, made look stupid, and flamed by everyone else in return.

so, as I said, lets just not post ever again. It's all been posted before...
Old 08-13-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lets just not post ever again.

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:53 PM

You have a decent number of posts. You should know better.

This play is +chipEV, but -$EV, which is what we usually refer to by EV.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The whole point of this post is to show those of you who think that +EV moves are always correct (hand specific) that it may sometimes be incorrect to CALL A push late in a tournament with only a slight edge. Many good players already know this, but it was something I had to struggle with alot when I first started and this post might somehow help someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP already seems to know this. I think the post was directed at beginners who may not know this. A better title for the post would be "Passing up +chipEV for $EV is correct".
Old 08-12-2005, 01:50 PM

Your example is pretty clear cut. I think a better post that would help a lot of players would be if it was 4 handed in level 6 and everyone has relatively equal stacks. A lot of people get over aggressive in these situations when it is definitely better to pick your spots.