Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-11-2004, 11:06 AM

Default QQ: Getting reraised before the flop

You raise in EP-MP with QQ and get reraised (by equal stack or larger) in a 8-10 handed table, what do you do? Your read on this player is that he is average for the site(which is fair to poor player). Do you come back over the top and then if reraised again dump it. I would worry about AA-KK from a good player. I have doubled through quite a few players in the last couple of days in SNGs and Multis with AA or KK vs QQ, and thiking that its been nice not having been put in this situation, but could I get out of it if I were in it. Each time I doubled through they raised pf and I moved all in over the top and they called.

Fwiw last night I was reraised with my QQ and just called, op had TT and hit a set on the flop. I folded on the flop fearing that he did have the AA or KK, and that I had time to find a better situation. Unfortunately I did with AA vs this same player when he min raised from ep to 100 with KQ and then called my 600 reraise and caught two Qs on the flop.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: QQ: Getting reraised before the flop

I think your questions are too general to really answer. Without stack sizes, it is hard to say if I would re-raise and fold to another raise. I usually will re-raise with QQ.

Ken Poklitar
Old 03-11-2004, 11:59 AM

Stack sizes: T1400 vs. t1350
Blinds 15-30

I make it 100 to go from Ep, He reraises to 315, 215 for me to call. I call, flop comes t,9,x, I check, he bets 500, I go in to the tank, and decide this player has to have me beat, I dont think he is capable of bluffing half his stack, and the odds that he his betting JJ (one hand he could rr with and think he is ahead on the flop) are too slim.
My fold is fine on the flop, but my question concerns pre flop and finding out where I am at in the hand.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:26 PM

If I flat call preflop, Im leading out at that flop 100% of the time. If you are going to check fold that flop just fold preflop.

Besides a set, what flop were you looking for?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:47 PM

Do you not consider that he may have A-K or the like, has missed on the flop and wants to buy the pot? You said this is coming from an average player (fair to poor), so there is no reason to believe they even have that much.

Simon
Old 03-11-2004, 12:59 PM

I agree that this is a great looking flop for my QQ. Here is my thought process concerning this hand (as flawed as it may be). Its early in the sng and I dont have a solid read on anyone just yet. At this site they start with t1500 and the blinds go up slowly(if this was party poker I would have played this differently). I don't want to risk a huge chunk of my stack on a hand where I don't know where I'm at. I checked with the intention of calling/reraising a small bet and folding to a large bet. When he bet half his stack it was an easy fold. This is only a 10 + 1 sng and the players are generally not very good, although there are a couple with game. I have done very well here in the money %60 of the time. I agree that this is a weak way to play a premium hand, but I think I can save my chips for a situation where I can double through knowing my money is going in to the middle as a huge favorite.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:09 PM

What buyin is this? are we talking 10+1 or 200+15? It makes a LOT of difference.

You are worried about him having AA or KK.

Well the betting pattern he has shown PF could just as likely come from AK and at lower limits JJ or AQs, AQ0 maybe even AJs.

Also don't forget he might have QQ.

At lower limits I would just push in PF to his reraise.

At higher limits I would probably reraise to 630 and fold to any further betting PF - he must have AA or KK, outside chance of AK. If he flat calls the raise to 630 I would put him on AK. In which case you definately want to just pushin on the flop that you got.

The money might be a little bit shallow for this - but then you have to expect to lose some money from EP with QQ against AA or KK, especially in a NL SnG where high PP are pretty premium holdings.

Tim

Old 03-11-2004, 01:33 PM

Thats really the point of my post. By not reraising pf I had no idea where I was at. He could have AK, AA, KK, JJ, TT