Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-23-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Changing gears, i can go fast, but how do i slow down

One thing i really need to learn to do better is play conservative poker. Im good at starting off a session by playing loose and gambling w/ my opponents.

ex: if i flop a flush draw+overcard, i have no problem gettin it all in w/ that type of drawing hand, where as a conservative player mite just check/call.

The average session starts out like this...
i come out playing fast and aggressive(when the table looks right), and lose a buy in, which is fine because im just setting up my image. now my problem is slowing down and tightening up. i try to do it, but still end up makeing very loose/gambling type plays, and dont get alot of FE because of my laggy table image. What are some things i need to change in my play that will make me a tighter player, not just in the ammount of starting hands, but overall tighter. any insite on this topic would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 12-23-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Changing gears, i can go fast, but how do i slow down

I start off the exact opposite. I don't like to start out in the hole on purpose. I used to try and make some crazy plays off the start and found out that it doesn't work. Spewing chips is not the way to start the day.