Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-04-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Loosing tons of cash is fun....please help me (longish)

Well I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. You can only run at 30-40% ROI for so long. In fact every sit and go I played I kept thinking this was going to be the one where my downswing starts. Well yesturday it happened. Pretty standard, bust one bubble with AA one with KK 3 with races and another one involving shorties that were almost all in and me loosing two 70/30's. But....this isn't a bad beat post as good as it felt to get that out and as much as it sounds like im bitching. The point is i dropped 10 buyins at the 109's which is really notthing. I've been through multiple 10/20/30 buyin downswings and the same thing happens everytime. I feel like crap after and I loose the motivation to keep playing. Now I'm totally getting better at dealing with loosing as I'm way over bankrolled and I've learnt that playing 30/60 limit is not a good idea when your buying in for 1/3 of your bankroll and most importantly that variance exists and it sucks ass. But is loosing just something you need to learn to deal with? I mean I'm going to have a compleatly free day tommorow where I could easily fly through 5-6-7-8-8-10 sets and since school's starting up soon I'm going to have fewer of those days so I reall would like to play a ton tommorow. So do I just play and hope that im smart enough to play my perfect, tilt free game. Do I just chill out take the day off, realise 10 buy ins come and go like nothing and come back in a few days ready to pwn (or continue getting sucked out on because I'm still due for my downswing to be way bigger then it has been).Do I go to the bar and spend $200 bucks on booze...oh wait I already did that last night [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] .Do I quit this stupid game all together (ok I'm sorry, I take that back). I'm sure most of the big game players and the 12348098590823409 sng per month players have learnt to deal with this. What's the best way to stay calm and just keep playing because compared to the $9 plus tips I'm making at my other job dropping $1000 in a day seems like just a little bit (AKA my months salery). Maybe thats my problem....that I have a job and that I still think of my poker BR as money as opposed to chips. I mean ideally I want to be at the point where an hour played is just an hour played, not 600 bucks made or 600 lost. How do I get there...can i get there... I think I'm starting to focus on my play more then money made or lost but I think It's still a long way until I can totally eliminate the money factor and just play. But for now I'm going to the place where I make less per hour then I do in rakeback per hour...yikes thats scary. Hopefully when I come back there will be a response to this with the answers to my problems as well as the meaning of life because if theres not ill be disapointed [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Loosing tons of cash is fun....please help me (longish)

[ QUOTE ]
But for now I'm going to the place where I make less per hour then I do in rakeback per hour...yikes thats scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, do you like playing poker?

Sounds like you're making tons more playing poker, and yes if you've been running at 30-40% for a long time, a downswing is expected, its part of the game, as long as the ROI stays + isn't that all that matters?

as for the meaning of life...? i'm still looking get back to you later

-Tom
Old 09-04-2005, 01:49 PM

is this a joke? 10 buyin downswing?
Old 09-04-2005, 02:06 PM

if the money means that much to do (10 buy ins), play the $11s or something.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:10 PM

Learning how to deal with losing is crucial in being a good SNG player. I had a 60 buyin downswing and it really did effect my game. I can't say with my hand on my heart that if it happened to me again it wouldn't effect me but i really do think i would deal with it a lot better. If i get a 10 game downswing now, it hurts, but if i go through the HH's and find out i really didnt do anything that wrong, then i'll stay confident in my game and wont make unnecessary adjustments. Confidence in knowing you are playing a "winning" game is key during the downswings.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:17 PM

Playing for the stakes you are while working for 9+tips does not compute.

Your post has like a bajillion poker emotions in one paragraph. Get it togethere dude.

Unless you post was humor/parody in which case it was pretty funy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2005, 05:49 PM

But how is tightening it?
Old 09-04-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...The point is i dropped 10 buyins at the 109's which is really notthing. I've been through multiple 10/20/30 buyin downswings and the same thing happens everytime. I feel like crap after and I loose the motivation to keep playing. Now I'm totally getting better at dealing with loosing as I'm way over bankrolled...

[/ QUOTE ]

-You've had 10, 20, 30 buy-in swings before.
-You have been in this state of mind before, and can acknowledge its presence.
-You are "over-bankrolled" for your level,
-And "dropping 10 buyins at the 109s...is really notthing."

and yet... here you are, posting about it, ranting about it.

I think you need to socialize more. Your post looks more like a stream of self-spoken words rather than an actual thought-out question of any sort. This is the sort of ranting you should be doing to a friend.

I'm not complaning about it -- we've all been there at one time or another, and it's a tough place to be. I'm just saying that talking to a friend might be a better way of going about this, your problem has more to do with you than actual STT strategy.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:23 PM

Woah cool I got some responses
ok so to adress some of the stuff

1. yes I like playing poker. I just find the thought process involved and the competition to be very cool, but losing money isn't fun obviously.

2. The point isn't that I can't afford to loose 10 buy in's or that the money means a lot to me. It's more of a concept that I'm a 20 year old university kid who's surrounded by people that work 9-5 for three weeks and make the kind of money that I lost in one day.

3. It's not a matter of bad play, it's a matter of variance. Like I said most of the hands I lost were suckouts or races. When your an 80% favorite your still going to lose 20% of the time and you can't money in every tourney you play obviously (yes I expect to get flamed for stating the obvious)

4. I work the job because it's fun and it gives me a chance to get out and make some extra cash, plus I like chilling with the people I work with.

As for all this....

[ QUOTE ]

I think you need to socialize more. Your post looks more like a stream of self-spoken words rather than an actual thought-out question of any sort. This is the sort of ranting you should be doing to a friend.

I'm not complaning about it -- we've all been there at one time or another, and it's a tough place to be. I'm just saying that talking to a friend might be a better way of going about this, your problem has more to do with you than actual STT strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't need to socialize more...I play poker maybe 10-20 hours a week and I'm in class maybe 15. Other then that I just hang out with my friends and party. Yes this is not really a question post but more of discusion post and the reason I don't talk to my friends about it that much is because they can't understand everything behind the swings involved in poker. If I told them I had lost $1000 in a day then they would imediatly look at me like some degenerate gambler...which I might be haha. Although some of them kind of understand based on me explaining it to them most still don't get that poker is a game where you can make money but where you will lose at points. I figured people on here deal with this stuff on a daily basis

In general the reason I made the post was to find out ways people deal with downswings and just start up a discution which I guess I did. I'm not like depressed or anything. I haven't broken my computer, it's just always a bit disheartening to lose regardless of how it happens and I was just wondering what people thought and how they dealt with their downswings and how to come out of them. If you just ride it out or if its better to take a break and refresh yourself and your game.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:28 PM

The meaning of life is to learn the difference between "loose" and "lose."

Go forth and prosper.