Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Adjusting play for lower buy-ins (blind steals)

Long time reader, first time poster... I searched but couldn't find a solid answer.

I've been watching a lot of Step 5 and Step Higher 5 games over the past few days while waiting for a deposit to clear, trying to study the styles of winning players. It seems rather simple, lay low for the first 4 levels, then push or fold to pick up blinds and if you win a few coinflips you're in the money. I play much lower games (11's hoping to make it to the 33's by the end of summer).

Will this work at the 11's? I under the EV of this move diminishes as the calling range of others decreases and the lower buyins have some ridiculous calling ranges, but can I still push this edge?

I've been reading over the following link (posted on 2+2 of course):
http://www.tightpoker.com/tournament..._stealing.html

Seems very useful, but I'm just not sure when to apply this strategy in a low buy-in game. Level 5 or a certain number of players? When do I push and when do I raise 3xBB? Only if 10xBB or less? If I get reraised, how tight should my calling range be?

I've noticed that one very successful 2+2 player on the Step 5's folds to nearly every single raise, only calling with monsters very late in the game. Will this work at the 11's?

With 800 starting chips it seems like post-flop skill is even less important at the lower levels, but I'm amazed at the lack of flops even at the $5000 steps with 1000 chips.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Adjusting play for lower buy-ins (blind steals)

[ QUOTE ]
fold to pick up blinds and if you win a few coinflips you're in the money

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to avoid allin coinflips. The best scenario is either getting it in with 80% chance to win or just pick up blinds.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:20 PM

By coinflips I just meant the times you try to pick up the blinds with a small pocket pair and get called with two overcards.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:30 PM

Start with this, it should give you a pretty good basis on how to beat the $11s.

You're not that off from a good strategy, though. The general rule is that you start pushing/folding with <10BB.

Continue reading the forums and post the hands that you're not so sure about. You should be making a profit at the $11s in no time.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You want to avoid allin coinflips. The best scenario is either getting it in with 80% chance to win or just pick up blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, the best scenario is to get in with a 100% chance to win or just pick up the blnds.

citanul
Old 07-21-2005, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I've been looking for the best scenario for quite a few hands now... aces don't seem to hold up 100%, what am I doing wrong?

Realistically, is pushing the top 25% of hands if you're under 10xBB a solid strategy with 4-5 players remaining?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:52 PM

I've been studying the 'Beating Party 10+2' too, seems very helpful. I don't really have too many hands to post yet (I realize so many of my own mistakes as soon as I make them)... just waiting for a deposit so I can play again.

My major leak seems to be getting too involved in the first 2 levels... mostly with overplaying AK, but I think I've learned my lesson. Also, never even thought of preserving the bubble. I don't know what I'd do without 2+2.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:28 PM

Preserving the bubble is overrated. Or, more specifically, it's a perfectly good concept, vastly overapplied. Don't worry about this unless you have a dominant chip lead (well over half the chips at the table, or about half with only little stacks other than you).
Old 07-21-2005, 02:31 PM

I could see how you could get carried away with it... but last week there were a few times where I had over 60% of the chips and I was calling withe mediocre hands just trying to bust out the remaining 3 people.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:34 PM

You want to be raising with mediocre hands, not calling with them as the big stack. If someone takes your blind it's no big deal, you probably will take 2 blinds the same orbit and have your blind folded to you the following one. Unless you're getting really good pot odds, there's no reason to call.