Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-18-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Betting strategy for this somewhat marginal holding

[ QUOTE ]

So where are you guys drawing the line from EP/MP? Am I limping KQs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a fellow limit-to-NL tourney guy, so I understand where you are coming from.

I don't mind the raise of KQo, but I do think it was a little bit too big; as one of the other posters mentioned, a hand like this you definitely want to get to the flop as cheaply as possible. If you decide you want to play this -- and a fold PF is not a bad play -- I would only go up 2-3xBB, $35 is probably plenty.

That said, I think your first real mistake in the hand is calling the reraise. Yes, it's only 50 into a pot of 275 and those are really nice odds, but you are in poor position, have a strong re-raise behind you not to mention a BB who called a raise/reraise. You've got to think here that both of these guys have you beat -- high pairs or AK/AQ.

The best bet after the flop, once you're in, is probably a probe bet -- something about 1/4 to 1/3 of the pot. If you get action on it, you're folding. Over-betting the pot with a marginal holding is what really got you in trouble here.

Glad to hear you finished ITM after all, though. What did the MP re-raiser show?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to play this hand, then limp. If no one raises behind you, then bet 1/2 the pot on this type of flop. You have given the draws incorrect odds, you haven't risked much of your stack and if someone comes over the top of you it isn't hard to let this hand go knowing you could easily be dominated or a coin flip against the draws.

[/ QUOTE ]
Part of my logic is that there are 2 other players in this hand. If I bet 1/2 the pot, and one of them calls, then the second will have odds to call on a flush draw (4:1). This is why I am with a pot sized bet in this scenario. Thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Avoiding coin flips early in SnGs is very good for your ROI. You will almost never win a SnG in the first 3 rounds, but you can certainly lose one then.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will remember this. As a limit player I am used to investing in thin +EV, not good for a tournament situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

pot bet - I'm with you there. Regardless of how I got into the position (on BB, in llimped PF for example), I like to bet pot/pot+ also with TP out of position. But without TK and with PF raiser yet to act, the smaller 'probe' bet gives you your exit (assuming you accepted the reality you could very well be behind).

KQs - I'm a little looser PF with KQs. I certainly don't mind limping from anywhere. An excellent drawing hand in cheap/early levels IMO. But I will give them up to a PF raise usually (depending on how many jump on, etc.). Post flop, given a favorable draw board, I'll assume a pretty passive roll, calling when the odds are there. Even with TP, it is my experience that with the draw added, the turn will often be cheaper check/calling, then probe betting and having it slammed hard by the TPTK.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What did the MP re-raiser show?

[/ QUOTE ]

QQ