Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: After SSHE

ah you havent played enough
Old 12-03-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, but I do want to reduce the number of opponents and it seems when you raise pre-flop in limit, it encourages people to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

The optimal number of callers if you raise UTG with AA is 8. (It's a wee bit better if the BB actually folds instead of calling.) 9 doesn't hurt though.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:59 AM

Doesn't that increase the odds of someone outdrawing you and cracking your aces?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:46 AM

You will get beat a lot more often than if you just had a few opponents, but overall you will win more money in the long run because the pots you do win will be very large.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't that increase the odds of someone outdrawing you and cracking your aces?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it certainly does. But which do you prefer, to be certain of picking up a 4BB pot, or having a 30% chance of picking up a 20BB pot?

We want to maximize Expected Value, not minimize Standard Deviation.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:24 AM

So, what you're saying is, in limit, even loose games, jam it with high pocket pairs? Then what, look for signs you've been outdrawn? By the way, due to inclement weather, I was not able to get to the store today to get SSHE, so, I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'll just reread SuperSystem and kicks some, uh, butt, on Full Tilt til then.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In addition to the above, grab How Good is Your Limit Hold'em by Byron Jacobs. You'll be a limit stud in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had read this book before I wrote GSIH, I would have recommended it without question in my limit hold 'em section. It's excellent. Best limit hold 'em hand problems book that exists today. Its only problem is that it could/should be twice the length. But it's terrific.

I was particularly impressed because not only is the advice and thought process consistently good, but he asks the right questions. He probes the key areas where people lose most of their money, and his scoring system reflects the fact that he knows these are the most important areas.

I give it 10/10. I think the best limit hold 'em books available today are (not going to be humble about my own):

Beginner level:
Getting Started in Hold 'em by me
Winning Low Limit Hold 'em, 3rd Edition only by Lee Jones
Internet Texas Hold 'em by Matthew Hilger

Intermediate Level:
Small Stakes Hold 'em by me, David, and Mason
Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players by David and Mason
Weighing the Odds in Limit Hold 'em by King Yao
How Good is Your Limit Hold 'em by Jacobs and Brier

I think there's a large falloff after these. In fact, I think I'd recommend an aspiring limit hold 'em player to read these seven and only these seven books... at least only these seven until they've become a strongly winning player.

EDIT: Feeney's book, Inside the Poker Mind, is also excellent, but I wouldn't necessarily clasify it as a "limit hold 'em book." But an aspiring limit hold 'em player certainly should read it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]So what is your opinion on Middle Limit Hold'em Poker or Jen Harman's section? Are these bad reads or are you only considering books for small stakes? I'd also like to hear your opinion on Texas Hold'em Odds? I you can share your take on these 3 books, I'd deeply appreciate it, thank you.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, what you're saying is, in limit, even loose games, jam it with high pocket pairs? Then what, look for signs you've been outdrawn? By the way, due to inclement weather, I was not able to get to the store today to get SSHE, so, I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'll just reread SuperSystem and kicks some, uh, butt, on Full Tilt til then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think things will start clicking into place for you when you manage to pick up SSH. This will provide you with the theoretical background.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Are you trying to win the hand, or trying to win a lot of money? Think about that for a while...

Unlearn Young Skywalker, everything you have been told is wrong. SSHE is the path to enlightenment, it's thought process is good from 2/4 games to 100/200 games. In fact Jen Harmon's section in SSII is essentially a poorly written reworking of SSHE with some shorthanded concepts thrown in. Too bad she doesn't come close to explaining the concepts as well as Ed Miller does.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]