Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Adjusting play for lower buy-ins (blind steals)

Long time reader, first time poster... I searched but couldn't find a solid answer.

I've been watching a lot of Step 5 and Step Higher 5 games over the past few days while waiting for a deposit to clear, trying to study the styles of winning players. It seems rather simple, lay low for the first 4 levels, then push or fold to pick up blinds and if you win a few coinflips you're in the money. I play much lower games (11's hoping to make it to the 33's by the end of summer).

Will this work at the 11's? I under the EV of this move diminishes as the calling range of others decreases and the lower buyins have some ridiculous calling ranges, but can I still push this edge?

I've been reading over the following link (posted on 2+2 of course):
http://www.tightpoker.com/tournament..._stealing.html

Seems very useful, but I'm just not sure when to apply this strategy in a low buy-in game. Level 5 or a certain number of players? When do I push and when do I raise 3xBB? Only if 10xBB or less? If I get reraised, how tight should my calling range be?

I've noticed that one very successful 2+2 player on the Step 5's folds to nearly every single raise, only calling with monsters very late in the game. Will this work at the 11's?

With 800 starting chips it seems like post-flop skill is even less important at the lower levels, but I'm amazed at the lack of flops even at the $5000 steps with 1000 chips.

Thanks in advance.