Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 08-10-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Building a poker computer

Hi guys,

Im building a new poker computer, and I have some things that I want it to do, so before I blow off loads of cash, I thought Id check with you first.

I want to use XP and .net so that I can run some applications like playerview while playing 16 tables, and I will have 4 monitors (4 dell 2001fp?) without overlap and also a video card to enable this. I would like poker tracker to be running constantly datamining.

Im a complete tech moron, and so any specific specs that you can agree on (or products?) would be really helpful.

Cheers
Bingo
Old 08-11-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Building a poker computer

any help guys? Memory, speed etc? Im clueless.

Bingo
Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 AM

Anything new/newish is fine, poker isn't that demanding an application, even 8+ tabling. I don't know enough about 4-headed cards to advise there, I believe Matrox make one, but someone else may be able to advise on a particular model?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:59 PM

for the video card get a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500. It has 2 VGA ports so even if you are only using one port you have the option of using two moniters. I have a 2001fp on one port and a Sony HS95 19" on the other. I can 4 table and surf the net all at once. Once I win some more money then I will upgrade to another 2001fp. With this card you can get about anything else and it will work. this card is my personal choice, others may not like my choice but that is your opinion.

1DDR of ram is preferable. Hard drives of any size works since poker software won't take up a lot of room on the hard drive.

Poker computers don't have to very expensive. But they can be. One 17" CRT monitor (around 75 bucks), a decent video card (the one I mentioned was 119 bucks) and reasonable priced motherboard (couple hundred). Hard drives aren't that expensive. You can buy OEM operating system off of ebay for less than 100 bucks (for XP).
Old 08-12-2005, 02:11 AM

I made a long post about a week ago ('building a custom pc). IT might be helpful.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 AM

I read your excellent post Isura...can you advise on playing 16 tables with no overlap? Im thinking of 4 2001fp or this beast here http://digitaltigers.com/sidecar-plusfour.shtml but Im not sure if there wont be overlap.

What about a video card to run all the 2001fps off 1 machine? Is there such a thing?

Bingo
Old 08-16-2005, 04:09 AM

There is another thread about that product, read it.